New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aces2011
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  14:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry in advance for all the newbie questions but is there anyway i can tell if my corn is male or female, i know its hard to be precise without popping or using probes, and to be honest i dont know if the are any breeders or vets that are reliable in my area. i read something about the way the tail tapers. thanks in advance for any replies

Adrian

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  17:02:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nope, visual is just a guess and unless you have something to compared it to such as a probed def male and female, it's almost useless sadly. The only other thing I can think of is if you ever get a shed with sperm plugs you known it's male lol, I have only had one shed by a male with sperm in it and I have had that guy for 12 years now XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  22:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's somewhat true that those with shorter tails are female, and those with longer tails are male, but my Psiren is a female (probed twice) and she has a tail which is, in relation to their seperate sizes, the same as Listers (male)

Edited by - Spreebok on 26/06/2011 19:11:09
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  22:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

It's somewhat true that those with shorter tails are female, and those with longer tails are male, but my Psiren is a female (probed twice) and she has a tail which is, in relation to their seperate sizes, the same as Listers (male)

Fixed it for you!!

Visual sexing is possible, very much so, but you do need to know what you are looking at, if you dont know, then its very much a guessing game.
If its the only one you have, then its not too much of an issue.
You can always post a pic, and if its obvious, then someone here can give you a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  19:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Fixed it for you!!

Visual sexing is possible, very much so, but you do need to know what you are looking at, if you dont know, then its very much a guessing game.
If its the only one you have, then its not too much of an issue.
You can always post a pic, and if its obvious, then someone here can give you a good idea.

Haha, oh dear, brain fart!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  20:57:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'm usually pretty accurate sexing by tail length but you really need to know what you're looking for and take the whole snake's conformation into account......eg. a fat male might have hips making his tail appear to taper sharply and look relatively short

you can also do a scale count on a shed skin but there is a big 'grey area' that's not definitely a male or female

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  21:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i'm usually pretty accurate sexing by tail length but you really need to know what you're looking for and take the whole snake's conformation into account......eg. a fat male might have hips making his tail appear to taper sharply and look relatively short

you can also do a scale count on a shed skin but there is a big 'grey area' that's not definitely a male or female

interesting, not looking into that side of it at all, not had any need to mind, if i cant do it visually, i can probe!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  21:59:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it sounds like a 'fun' way to waste a whole loada time lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000