New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Farmers
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  07:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I setup my viv the way that the petshop said, and I'm a bit concerned that it's not right. I've got a 4ft viv with a non-statted mat and a statted heat lamp, however inside his hot end hide it's 40 degrees, even with the thermostat probe inside it! The stat is a dimmer stat so I know I can't just plug my heat map into it as it's less than 40w, but can I plug both the light and the heat mat into it using a double adapter?

Thanks!

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  08:05:32  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the hot end hide is that hot proberly because the mat doesnt have a stat, id unplug the mat an get a stat on it before u use it again. u dont need a heat lamp for corns so personally id just do away with it, but if you are persistant you want to use it what size/type of fitting are u using an is it guarded???

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Farmers
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  14:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. It's a halogen light and yes it is guarded. My question isn't so much what is the cause, more can I get away with using the equipment I've got without having to go out and spend another £20 on a mat stat. The dimmer stat says a minimum of 40 watts but my mat is only 18 which is why I thought I'd plug both heat sources into it?
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  16:43:54  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
id say no because u have no way of adjusting the temps to the individual heat source, a mat is designed for an on/off source even a pulse prop stat is still a on/off stat just using more precise pulsing to maintain its temp constantly as opposed to being turned on until it hits temp then turnd off. turn the matt off for now an just use the lamp until u can get a mat stat but ultimatly the mat is the best source to use

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2011 :  20:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the reply to your previous thread pretty much sums it up........ http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17566
ditch the lamp and get a suitable stat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Farmers
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2011 :  19:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so I've now got my mat statted, but am still struggling with the temp inside the hide. With the probe on the mat at 28 degrees, it's still 40 in the hide, so I've put the probe inside the hide and that has brought the temp down inside there (and he's now snuggled up in there having eaten yesterday) Will this be ok - I'm just concerned that the warm end outside the hide won't be warm enough? Outside the hide it's about 26 at the warm end and 24 at the cool end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000