corn snakes in water
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jackk94
Hatchling

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  12:22:39  Show Profile  Click to see Jackk94's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is it normal for them to chill in the water, their whole body with the head under. won't they drown?

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  12:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mines sometimes bathe in the water.. but I have never seen them with their heads under too. Hope someone with more knowledge can help you xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they can hold their breath for aaaages! so no, he won't drown
one reason for submerging themselves is to get relief from external parasites eg. mites, so have a good look at the snake and in the water bowl

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  13:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Boa will dive straight under when in any water, only pops up to breathe. As above though, check the bowl for dead critters and the snake and enclosure for live ones as bathing themselves is a tell tale sign of mites (but not the only reason, it may be too hot, or too dry, or just fancied a dip.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  13:47:06  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My creamsicle used to do that alot when she was younger. Usually before a shed. Now she has got a tad older i rarely see her do it.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  14:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lister does this when given a body of water larger than his bowl. He seems to enjoy it! And no, no parasites, I could tell a mile off if he did, one of the perks of having a snow haha!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  08:54:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes it is normal to use water to cool down :) and they won't drown, I've seen one of mine hold his head in his bowl and go round, and round and round for a few minitues before popping back up. When my older snakes were younger, they always used to bathe in summer :p

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  09:53:34  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Never seen my Dakota in her water dish but i think she likes a bath as the kitchen roll round the water dish looks like its been wet then dried out

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Spindle
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  13:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is ok to put your corn in the bath with shallow water?

0.1.0 Eva the beautiful anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Deadpowerful
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  13:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well if you were thinking of doing it to bath them i would make sure the bath was cleaned to make sure no chemicals that they don't like are in there( i have no idea if they cant be near shampoo by i assume not)but i wouldn't just leave them in there as they may want to get out but not able to etc.
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes you can bath snakes, its often used to help snake poo, dont ask why but if you do bath them the chances are they will poo everywhere, as before give bath qucik rinse with warm water.
FEW RULES: -water must be around 29*
-dont fill batch too deep only so it covers half the body
-never leave unattended
Go to Top of Page

Spindle
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2011 :  14:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brooke star

0.1.0 Eva the beautiful anery corn
Go to Top of Page