New to snakes-heat mat/bulb or both???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kerz11
Snake Mite

5 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  22:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is my first post and im trying to set up for my first snake so excuse any stupid questions i ask I dont have my snake yet im just trying to get it all set up and running smoothly first.

I have the viv set up and i have a 7w heat mat covering a third of the floor connected to a mat stat. I have a digital thermometre with two probes-one measuring the hot end and the other the cool. I have not put any substrate in yet as there are 2 wholes at the top in the back of the viv for the wires and i have to seal them still and i was worried that the fumes may stick in the substrate. Once i know if i need a bulb as well then i can seal it and let it air for a few days.

my problem is that the hot end is usually around 29 but it will not stay steady, it has gone down to 27.1 right up to 29.9. I dont understand why because i have the thermostate prob taped into position and the digital thermometre probe tapped in position( I WILL BE REMOVING THE TAPE DONT WORRY-its just to see if i got the right settings first). Also the cold end is going as low as 16 and its highest has been 17-which from what ive read is far too cold.

Itd be great if someone could help out. is it maybe because there isnt any substrate in there and the heat is changing too fast and escaping or something?? I could try using substrate to see if it helps-i can always buy some more.

Also, i live in northern ireland-it isnt the warmest of places. The guy in the reptile shop said that in the winter i would need a heat bulb too. he keeps their corns at 25-30 gradient-so im worried if i took a hatchling home this massive change in temp could be dangerous for it. Everywhere seems to say you dont need a bulb if u have a heat mat because corns get their heat through their tummys. Im worried if i get a bulb itd be too hot in there and also i dont have a stat to monitor it but i have all the equipment for the heat mat. what do you guys think??

Also-im finding the probes fiddly and hard to get them to stay in position-what is a safe way of getting them to stay in place so i can measure everything properly?

just one quick other qu-my viv is 24" and my heat mat is 13x27.5cm-is that too small, its placed vertically but im worried its too small a space.

sorry this was so long i just want my new snake to be comfortable when i get it.

thanks, kerz

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  23:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A corn really doesn't need a light, they are fine on a heat mat but I personally have one in there, its not used as a primary heat source but comes in handy when finding poo etc, its also statted and can be used for a source of heat should it drop as cold as it did this winter just gone. If you do decide to put a bulb in even if its not in every day use it still needs a guard as corns might squeeze and break the glass.

When sealing use only aquarium sealant, a load of standard sealant has chemicals in to stop mould and mildew and its not great for snakes.

I use a glue gun to fix things in place, it sets quickly, is non toxic and can be removed if needs be.

A mat-stat will fluctuate as you describe, its because its either on or its off, once everything gets up to temperature and you have substrate in everything will settle and the swing in temperature will not be as erratic. The cold end will only ever be the room temperature unless you use a bulb or something to heat the air inside, though at this time of year 16oC is a bit odd, I'd have to stick my setup in the fridge to get that cool, (thinking about getting in myself, I dont like these humid muggy nights).

You might find the 24" viv a bit big for a tiny hatchling, you have to really escape proof it and such a large space could stress it, I started with a 24" with my hatchling, and I had to really pack the viv out with loads of foliage and hides, bury toilet roll tubes etc to give plenty of cover, best thing is watch your snake you'll soon see if its not comfotable in a big space and wil need putting in something smaller.

Welcome to the forum by the way, I'm in NI too (Belfast), do you use City Reptiles?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

kerz11
Snake Mite

5 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  23:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi-thanks for replying

Im from belfast! and i use city reptiles! I thought the temp being 16c was odd too- Maybe its because im up near cave hill-so maybe its colder up here???

I was in city reptiles today and the guy recomended using a bulb as well as a heat mat, he also said he'd never had a corn get burnt on a bulb so i wouldnt need a guard but im a bit dubious about that.

i was a bit worried about the hatchling being stressed in a large space so i have lots of stuff to go in the viv too.

About the glue gun-can you use other normal glue and let it air for a few days or would it be toxic??

on other news-i put the probe above the substrate (i put it in to see if itd help) and for some reason its now reading higher than it was under the substrate-its now at 17.2.

Have you any other tips? Do you use city reptiles too?

thanks, kerz

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  00:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A non-toxic glue wouldn't be toxic but if you have aquirium sealnt just use that foe anything you want to fix down.

I have my hot end thermometer attatched to the heat mat and the cold end one just sitting pointing up in the cold end back corner.

I wouldn't take a chance with not guarding a bulb both on the chance it gets burnt or on the chance i'd have to sit with a really annoyed snake picking glass out of its belly, just not worth the risk for the £10 it costs for a guard. I like to have the option of a bulb and I do run it for a few hours in the middle of the day, I think a slight increase in air temp is a good thing though for the most part its not esential.

I do use City Reptiles, on the most they are good, few things I don't agree with them about (bulb guard is one of them lol) they do give you the time of day though, happy to help you out and what I would give for their false water cobra, its stunning.

that explains it if your up cave hill, its a different climate up there, I've never been up there and it not be foggy and freezing lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  07:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with a bulb guard but just be careful with a hatchling as it will still get between the holes, i've had my hatchlings in plastic fauns (faunariums) with the heatmat outside underneath stated. As they've grown i've moved up sizes with the fauns and i'm just getting ready to move my 10 month old who weighs 60g + and is 2ft in length to a 2ft viv, and i'm not sure yet if he'll settle in it.

Good luck anyways

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  07:56:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
So pleased to see you're doing your research and getting things right before you get your snake!!
Have a look on the caresheet and also at the stickies on setups for snakes, they'll give you of great information.
Let us know when you get your snake and if you want help give us a shout.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Carson1915
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  07:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kept my hatchling in a faunarium until recently as she was too big for it, she's now 10 months old 2.7-3ft in length and been happily living in a 3ft lx36 vivexotic vivarium for a month now sounds like you have the same vivarium

Admin - Signiture image too large - please resize

1 Wild type Corn - F - Carson
1 bearmese Mountain Dog - Boston

Wishlist:

Royal Python
Hognose
Iguana

Edited by - Carson1915 on 14/06/2011 07:59:00
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  09:19:03  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I cannot add to the advise already given as it is really good advise but I wanted to say welcome. It's really good to see you spending time making sure the set-up is just right before purchasing your snake. So many people have had problems and caused themselves more stress by getting the snake before the set-up is running correctly.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000