New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:28:02  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking for a while about getting a new addition for my family, to add to my creamsicle corn and 11 other furry/feathery friends. You guys have spured me on and revived my passion for our scaley friends.
Looked round pet shops and online with an open mind for possibly a different breed of snake. Couldnt see anything that caught my eye other than pictures online (loved the colour and pattern of ghost motley stipe corn or royal python).
Heard about a local RSPCA centre that have a reptile section so went out 2day to have a nose at the unwanted sweeties. Explained that i was un decided as to breed or age of snake i wanted, could i browse what they had in....Low and behold, what was the first snake they showed me...a ghost motley stripe corn hatchling. Needless to say i am now the proud new owner of this beautifull snake. I also choose to rehome another beauty who had a bite injury during his adventure of escape(he was a stray). I am unsure of his morph but makes no odds to me. He/it is beautifull...two unwanted snakes now have a forever home. How lucky are they
Unsuprisingly, there were so many unwanted snakes there. All shapes and sizes, breeds, temprements and ages. I wish more people would consider looking in rescue centres for their new family member rather than initially opting for the obvious choice of a shop. These poor little guys need loving homes and a second chance....

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

You guys have spured me on and revived my passion for our scaley friends.

very nice congrats on the new one

and a new disclaimer lol

the cornsnake.co.uk accepts no liability for your addiction and subsequent requirements for a therapist

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i never even thought about a rescue centre for rehoming reptiles, well done you and lucky snakes

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:17:44  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

and a new disclaimer lol

the cornsnake.co.uk accepts no liability for your addiction and subsequent requirements for a therapist

its all you guys fault. That is my excuse and im sticking with it lol. Dont know what happened to "no more pets". Yeah right.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:20:57  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

i never even thought about a rescue centre for rehoming reptiles, well done you and lucky snakes

Think it is an important issue. Something to think about and an alternative option.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  00:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on you for rehoming! My local RSCPA doesn't do reptiles sadly, but I guess it's a good thing too, else I'd have a houseful! ()I just can't say no to a sob story haha!)
Any pictures?
Go to Top of Page

animalcrazy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  07:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which Rspca did you go to? I got Horatio a month ago from a small local reptile rescue, I would always love to go to a rescue for my first choice but there not many up this way.
Looking forward to pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  09:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! Pictures please!!

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  09:34:18  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got them both from the RSPCA in Brighton. They have ony recently opened the reptile unit. I will upload some pics once i have worked out how to use the camera on my new phone :-$. I know there are a few private rescues out there, but it is not easy to find them.
Although i know what im doing, they gave me some good advise and they sell cheap second hand vivs and accesories as well.

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  11:53:13  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed this works....

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  11:55:06  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thought i would add my creamsickle corn as well so she dont feel left out....

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  17:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh congrats on your new additions. They are gorgeous!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  18:40:36  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know i should wait a few days to let them settle before handling and feeding but both were looking for food. So tried them on some pinkies this afternoon. Both eaten well. Ghost motley had 3 (piggy) but she is a tad on the scrawney side and the other took 2 pinkies. Fantastic. Happy snakes...Just need to name them now.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congrats for the rescue! I'd love to do the same one day. Just remember strict quarenteen since rescues don't know the status of the nasties they have there!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  18:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done on rehoming rescues. They are lovely although I have to ask, are you housing the hatchlings together? I notice they are in the same cardboard hide.
Go to Top of Page

grantcia
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  18:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good on ya what center did you visit to find these, soz just being nosey lol
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  18:59:37  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

Well done on rehoming rescues. They are lovely although I have to ask, are you housing the hatchlings together? I notice they are in the same cardboard hide.

I have read all the feeds relating to this. I was unsure of my opinion on this subject. I was always of the opinion that snakes should be housed seperately. I have met the reptile guy several times (i had a northern pine and bosc, when my ex left i could not handle them. He rehomed them for me) He seems to know his reptiles. He assured me that they would cohabitate well as they are the same size. I brought up my concerns relating to the points in the feed. He assured me that all would be ok. I am keeping a very close eye on them both....every 10 mins while im awake, checking them. im still unsure of my opinion as was advised by a "reptile profesional" that it would be fine. If this advise had come from a shop, then i would have disregarded it as it is not necessarily their speciality.
But of course i am open to all your experianced knowledge on this subject 2 make an informed desision.

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:01:05  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grantcia

good on ya what center did you visit to find these, soz just being nosey lol

Brighton RSPCA. They also sell second hand equipment and accessories for fair prices.

Go to Top of Page

grantcia
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh a bit to far for me lol , i may have a nose in my local one to see whats in
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

quote:
Originally posted by **Louise**

I have read all the feeds relating to this. I was unsure of my opinion on this subject. I was always of the opinion that snakes should be housed seperately. I have met the reptile guy several times (i had a northern pine and bosc, when my ex left i could not handle them. He rehomed them for me) He seems to know his reptiles. He assured me that they would cohabitate well as they are the same size. I brought up my concerns relating to the points in the feed. He assured me that all would be ok. I am keeping a very close eye on them both....every 10 mins while im awake, checking them. im still unsure of my opinion as was advised by a "reptile profesional" that it would be fine. If this advise had come from a shop, then i would have disregarded it as it is not necessarily their speciality.
But of course i am open to all your experianced knowledge on this subject 2 make an informed desision.

Of course it will always be down to the owner to make an informed choice however having read the thread below there is no way I personally would ever risk housing 2 hatchlings together!! There are many experienced keepers and breeders on this forum and I'm pretty sure most if not all would advise against it. Older corns can be kept together if of a simlar size but it's normally advised that experienced keepers only do so.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5175
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:40:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Beautiful snakes. 'Good on yer' for rescue....we don't have any rep rescue places about here.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000