New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dam
Egg

66 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  20:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi

i know this may sound like a really stupid question but after looking on here at some lovely snakes at 9 months old weighing 90g+ it got me a little worried, my corn snake (unsexed but call her aura) is 9 months old and only weighs 14g and is 16 inchs long now i know that they can come in different sizes and wieghts but it got me a little concerned she is very thin and her feeding record shows 1 pinkie a week and she has refused food for the last 3 weeks.

any advice please should i worry or is this "normal" in some snakes

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  20:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a corn of 11 months old and he was only 16g, he's now 22g. I have another corn of the same age who is 140g!!

As long as he is eating fine and gaining weight don't worry. Is she gaining and eating ok?
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  20:58:47  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 3 corns up to 9 months old. One is 15g and 16", one is 16g and 17" and the other is 32g and 21"...

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:00:48  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My little corn was 52cm and 19g when i first weighed her not long after i got her on 9th april

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

dam
Egg

66 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she hasnt eaten for the last three weeks
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, I'm sorry if my chunky Lister got you worried :)
They all grow at different rates, so long as they eat, poop and shed, theres no need to worry!
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  21:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my second corn last weekend who is only a month younger than my first, she's 3 x smaller than the first one too, i've come to realise that the pet shop(s) only feed a maintenance diet of 1 pinky to sustain life as most people want a tiny snake to start with. As soon as you increase the amount you feed he'll start to grow

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  22:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Romeo is 22g and hes only coming up a yr in july. Every snake is different xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  22:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

I bought my second corn last weekend who is only a month younger than my first, she's 3 x smaller than the first one too, i've come to realise that the pet shop(s) only feed a maintenance diet of 1 pinky to sustain life as most people want a tiny snake to start with. As soon as you increase the amount you feed he'll start to grow

Not always the case. My 140g boy was from a petshop who fed him very well indeed lol
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  03:37:58  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...and where I get mine from feed HUGE portions to their snakes!

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  03:42:53  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dam

she hasnt eaten for the last three weeks

As long as she seems healthy and maintaining her weight you don't need to be overly worried that she isn't eating at the moment. Obviously you'd like to see her eating normally, but they can go a long time without food.

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2011 :  07:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It must be the trend in the shops near where i live, i've been to 2 different reptile shops and feeding 1 pinky a week was normal diet for them both for hatchling size snakes, i've never bought a full grown so haven't seen their feeding records.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000