New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  17:49:43  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Question... does having inverts in an aquarium help keep nitrate levels down? despite regular water changes and reducing food, i am having a constant battle atm with nitrate levels. and i read that inverts could help.
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

I had to sell the marine tank as when we moved we simply didnt have space for it, and live corals and rocks etc are not something you can store unfortunately. I spent way in excess of 1k on the marine setup, in fairness, i probably should have spent in excess of 1.5k excluding the tank!!
The tank, filter and skimmer, with some live rock cost me 600 quid, i then bought another 50kg of rock at 10 quid a kilo, spent a fortune on fish, which the lion fish happily munched through, incidentally, shortly after the last two pics there, the little goby was residing in the lion fishes stomach! he went back to the shop sharpish! I spent another 100 quid on a second filter, both externals, another heater, 2 nice new power heads, and loads of inverts.

The tank we have now, so far has cost us 40 quid for the tank, which is cheap because its scratched, then another 50 quid on fish, a fiver on the lava rock, and the heater, air pump etc was all left over from before.
However, its gonna be at least a fiver a week, and thats just in water, i will be using RO water for the changes, keeps the nitrates nice and low, as even though tap water is ok, in this area, the nitrates are naturally quite high.

We are trying to find another tank at the moment, this one is not big enough for the geos and firemouths, the geos get to about 12 inches eventually!!!! that and the plec gets big too!! i will get pics of him next!

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  18:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

Question... does having inverts in an aquarium help keep nitrate levels down? despite regular water changes and reducing food, i am having a constant battle atm with nitrate levels. and i read that inverts could help.
quote:

I had to sell the marine tank as when we moved we simply didnt have space for it, and live corals and rocks etc are not something you can store unfortunately. I spent way in excess of 1k on the marine setup, in fairness, i probably should have spent in excess of 1.5k excluding the tank!!
The tank, filter and skimmer, with some live rock cost me 600 quid, i then bought another 50kg of rock at 10 quid a kilo, spent a fortune on fish, which the lion fish happily munched through, incidentally, shortly after the last two pics there, the little goby was residing in the lion fishes stomach! he went back to the shop sharpish! I spent another 100 quid on a second filter, both externals, another heater, 2 nice new power heads, and loads of inverts.

The tank we have now, so far has cost us 40 quid for the tank, which is cheap because its scratched, then another 50 quid on fish, a fiver on the lava rock, and the heater, air pump etc was all left over from before.
However, its gonna be at least a fiver a week, and thats just in water, i will be using RO water for the changes, keeps the nitrates nice and low, as even though tap water is ok, in this area, the nitrates are naturally quite high.

We are trying to find another tank at the moment, this one is not big enough for the geos and firemouths, the geos get to about 12 inches eventually!!!! that and the plec gets big too!! i will get pics of him next!

I dont really know about inverts helping with nitrates, however, if you are having big issues with high nitrates, then you can overcome that by regular partial water changes, if its a big tank, say 400 litres then you can do 25% water changes every few days, smaller, i would do smaller changes. A lot of it depends on what tank it is, what fish you have, what filters you use, what filter media you use, how long the tanks been running, etc, let me know those details, and i might be able to help a bit more.

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  18:25:51  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

i like arrowana, but they are not for me, they eat too much! and anything that fits in their mouth is good enough!

damn right just a hinge trap to anything!

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000