Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kittypuss85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I bought my first corn snake on Sunday, the shop has a great reputation and is the best in the county where I live for selling reptiles, i travelled over 20 miles to be sure they set me up properly for my first snake.

However, I have been reading through the care sheets on here and other sites I have found, and the advice given seems to be different from what they said.

They said I should handle her every other day from getting her home, apart from when feeding- when I should leave her 24 hours before trying to get her out again.

They also said aspen wasn't good substrate for snakes and I have small bark chip in my faunarium.

I handled her in the shop and she is very calm, they even allowed my toddler to hold her, and she was fine, so i figure she was obviously well handled at the shop.

I fed her Sunday night, and went to get her out today, but she doesn't seem interested - she curled up into a tight ball and just stuck her head and neck up at me - i dont know if this is smelling or warning, but she seemed wary so I left her.

Am I trying to handle her too soon? Should I try again tonight or just leave her. She was so friendly in the shop - I dont want to lose that by not handling her if i should be.

Thanks

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aspen is good for the snakes as they like to burrow in it. After feeding dont handle for 48hrs at least... gives snake time to digest and reduces regurge. You should leave snake ideally in her home for 5-7 days before trying to handle as he/she will feel unsure about her surroundings as it is.... snake needs to get used to the smell of their home before being introduced to new smells. xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:22:06  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is your new snake?

I think you have been given wrong advice, as a rule you should give a new snake at least 7 days to settle in and adjust to their new environment - smells, noise, movement etc, you should only go into faun to change the water during this time.

Also, as far as I am aware Aspen is a perfectly good substrate for snakes as it allows them to burrow and make wee tunnels however, for young hatchlings the best thing to use is kitchen roll, this lets you monitor their poop more easily and is easier to spot clean.

Also, when you feed your snake you should leave them at least 48 hours after feeding before you handle them, if you dont then your snake can/will regurgitate their meal. Warnings snakes give to leave them alone is tail rattling and hissing. If I were you I would just leave her be for the moment.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 24/05/2011 15:24:27
Go to Top of Page

Kittypuss85
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice guys, I will leave her be for a while longer.

But will this work in the opposite way -i mean if i dont handle her, then she wont want to be handled even more? Or will she be ok once shes settled.

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she will be ok once she has settled in. Once she has then pop some pics up so we can have a wee peek! xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:30:07  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've learned snakes don't want to be handled but want to be left alone, handling is for the owners benefit not the snakes. A good general rule would be handle little and often once she's settled in, that's what I do with my little hatchling. Just make sure you check to make sure the faun is nice and secure and she can't get out, I'm always checking mine is secure in her faun lol.

Once she's settled in she'll be fine and then you can put up some pics of her .

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 24/05/2011 15:32:51
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

I've learned snakes don't want to be handled but want to be left alone, handling is for the owners benefit not the snakes. A good general rule would be handle little and often once she's settled in, that's what I do with my little hatchling.

Depends on the owner really. I handle my snakes regularly and it doesnt seem to bother them. But yes. Snakes naturaly like being left alone if a huge giant alien is poking and prodding at them. But if they get used to your smell etc and know you are no harm then things will be ok.

Go to Top of Page

Spindle
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  18:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I took my snake home I left her alone for a few days taking the advice from these guys. When I did try to handle her after that she got a bit nervous and kept trying to escape when I went to grab her. Ive had her for a few weeks now and she doest even flinch when I get her out and she seems happy to be handled

0.1.0 Eva the beautiful anery corn
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  20:21:49  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not handling a new snake for 7 days, to let it settle and get used to it's new surroundings, is good advise. However, not handling for 48hrs after feeding is a rule. If the snake is not given that time to digest then there is a real danger of it regurgitating it's meal, which isn't pleasant for either the snake or owner (I've heard the smell is awful).

After the 48hrs it is safe to handle the snake, however beware, after digestion they tend to poo, and slithering through nice warm hands can really get things moving. Lol. Some people wait until their snake has poo'd before handling, I just have some newspaper ready and look out for the tail lift which is the signal to hold him over the newspaper.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000