Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:19:44  Show Profile
hiya
suzy has layed 3 eggs(soooooo excited) - all the books ive read say to incubate. is this correct?? can they be left with her in the box she has laid them in??
how long will it take her 2 lay??? if we need to incuabte-do we wait until all laid before moving them to an incubator??
thanks
tracey

tracey

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:21:19  Show Profile
can the box be left in the tank so long as it is on a heat mat???

tracey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:43:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
it is possible to incubate the eggs in the viv but it's difficult to control and maintain high humidity
how long has it taken her to lay 3 eggs?
what sort of lay box have you given her?
are the eggs likely to be fertile or be slugs?
do you want to incubate them?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:56:21  Show Profile
she has now layed 7. she was just laying her 2nd at 6.30 when we checked on her. its so amazing. never expected the eggs to be so big, bless her. she has a darkened box with the moistened mossy stuff from the centre we bought her from- cant remember the propper name, sorry.
the eggs should be fertile.
we just want to do whats best for suzy and the babies. Perry the dad lives in the tank also- would this be a problem??
would you recommend incubating??
tracey

tracey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:58:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'd recommend splitting up the parents and housing them separately, and only incubating the eggs if you have the time, space and money to deal with all the resulting hatchies as there's no guarantee they'll be easily sold

Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:04:42  Show Profile
oh we definately want to hatch them. so do we need to incubate them then?? or can this be done in the tank in the box they are laid in?? over a heat mat???
is the male a threat to the eggs then?? I know there are mixed feelings about keeping 2 together but they had always been together when we got them- seems cruel to split them up now
thanks
tracey

tracey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:08:53  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
yes you do need to incubate them if you want them to hatch, the male isn't a threat but either snake could move them around and kill off the forming embryos

and there's nothing cruel about keeping snakes safely. looking back at your posts 2 months ago where people advised you to split them up, you did state you were an inexperienced keeper and so wouldn't even realise if there was a problem.....

actually thinking about it more, i'd fully recommend (for any hatchies sake) that you freeze the eggs for a week then bin them!!!

Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:13:41  Show Profile
thanks for your advice- but that seems really harsh and quite rude. ours are safe and healthy and happy together thanks.
thought this site was to advice and support each other- do to the best by our corns- not by killing them as you are suggesting. if thats the bast advice you can give- maybe best not to reply!!! very dissapointed. sorry to have troubled you.

tracey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:19:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
they're not corns, they're not even embryos.........you obviously know very little about what you're doing or what you're taking on and experimenting with things that could potentially live isn't a very good idea - just for example, if you don't incubate them properly and end up with deformed babies that die or have to be PTS how would you feel???
looking at your previous posts it appears very obviously won't actually listen to anyone's good advice and you're deluded if you think your snakes are in love and enjoy having a cuddle....

Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:25:40  Show Profile
What Gingerpony said is all good advice, I can only echo what she has said.
However if you're gonna ask for advice then basically say you're gonna ignore it then why ask??

quote:
Originally posted by ratts10

.........sorry to have troubled you.

Aww, are you going then??

Bye.

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:29:01  Show Profile
thanks for your kindness and support-NOT!!!! every corn owner is a newbie at one time or another. only joined this so I could learn- not to get abuse!!!! I find you quite rude and offensive. insulting and patronising and will not be returning

tracey
Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:33:51  Show Profile
wont be askin you lot for anything. ur the nastiest most unsupportive group of people i know

tracey
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:48:24  Show Profile
quote:

ur the nastiest most unsupportive group of people i know

How are we? You only had a reply from 2 members!

Although I do agree with the suggestions....
Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  22:57:36  Show Profile
quote:

...I find you quite rude and offensive. insulting and patronising and will not be returning

Bye then.
I think the phrase is: "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out"

Love and Kisses, Gilly. xxx

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  00:03:40  Show Profile
Whether they should be kept together etc etc aside. The eggs do need to be incubated if you are planning on hatching them. You could make a home made incubator but as these are a surprise arrival you've no time to aet up and test it so if I was you I would start ringing reptile shops first thing tomorrow, a lot of them offer an incubation service (for a price), they may also have an incubator they could sell you, either a incubator specifically for reptile eggs or one they have used but are no longer using etc. They are incubated to increase the success rate, to avoid deformities etc, the first thing you MUST NOT do is turn the eggs, if you turn them they will most likely die. Its very nlikely you could control your temps and humidity precisely enough by leaving them where they are and hatchlings that are deformed or sometimes look like they are born inside out is a painful thing to see and they have to be put to sleep. Leave them where they are at the moment and speak to the reptile shops, give you a better idea of the way to go with these eggs. Its not cruel to freeze them at this stage, they are barely anything but a few cells and a big old sack of yolk and its the quickest way (other than giving them to a hungry lizard) to stop them developing any further.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 19/05/2011 00:04:20
Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  08:53:42  Show Profile
gilly- do you have to be so rude and nasty?? I see on your profile it says 'think before you speak'-maybe you should try it and consider peoples feelings. Have you always followed every piece of advice youve been given in life?? surely not. Its about getting the information to make an informed choice. By the way- The door didnt hit me on the ass- you slammed it in my face-hope your pleased with yourself. Its not always what you say but the way that it is said. When you are new to something you are given so much conflicting advice,its difficult.

apologies louise-tis true I only spoke to a couple of people on here so my sweeping statement was unfair- guess I just found the wrong people.

thanks lotabob for your advice. this is the sort of thing I needed and expected from a site like this. not the childish nasty 'facebook chat' that i got off Gilly.

thanks

tracey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:08:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
both myself and Gilly have been blunt but neither of us 'tolerate fools gladly'
and people that ask for advice then whinge that it's not what they wanted to hear or do, well, they fall into that category.

anyway, i thought you were leaving? twice!!

Edited by - gingerpony on 19/05/2011 10:12:47
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:12:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
and, just out of curiosity....

would you jump into water of an unknown depth if you were a non-swimmer?
i'm guessing the answer is probably not, as your own life could be at risk

would you knowingly keep or breed an animal without knowing anything about them?
it would seem the answer is yes....afterall, it's not your own life or welfare at stake

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:23:31  Show Profile
Do we know anything about the OPs setup? Other than the corns are together? Reason I ask is it has been advised by Lotabob to leave the eggs where they are for now. Is this over the heatmat? Is the heatmnat statted? Is the lay box moist? Are there any slugs?

It seems that you had a male and female together, knowing they would breed yet have no idea what to do with the eggs? If you knew the corns were of breeding age than this should have been researched way in advance rather than posting the question as the eggs were being laid.

Advice has now been given and yes it's up to you what you now do but the easiest and kindest method (imo) is to freeze and bin the eggs. You are not prepared for them and ultimatly it's gonna be the babies that suffer.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:31:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
If they are going to turn out to be normals, I would sadly say it's not worth it. Not many people/petshops want them as they are all over the place, and a ton of ones that need new homes on like preloved. Only ones they get homes seem to be ones with nice multiple hets.

I was in a similar position to you last time, mum needs to be on her own, dad needs to be on his own, babies will need to be on their own once they hatch. Eggs not in the same place as mum or dad. Honestly, unless you have something worth hatching or you plan on keeping all the babies, of which they would need to be housed seperatly for over a year and are sexed. Corns as a whole are getting harder to sell unless you have a super duper morph. If you don't seperate the mum from dad permanently, you could have a very, very ill corn or a dead one eventually.

In have to ask, why come on here and ask for advise if your not going to take it and then get all huffy over it? I see no rudness what so ever, just people telling you something you obviously don't want to hear, about the health and saftey of the CURRENT corns you have.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ratts10
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  10:47:14  Show Profile
good bye- thanks for nothing. you are nothing more than bullies

tracey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page