Not eaten for 8 weeks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sid2177
Snake Mite

1 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  09:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi can anyone advise me how long a young corn can go without eating.

Kellogs hasn't eaten for just over 8 weeks. I'm not sure of his/her exact age but he is approx 15"-16"(40cm) and weighs 16g. I've weighed him a few times and he hasn't lost any weight. His tank/viv is 16" x 12", which i was advised that would last at least 12 months.
He has 2 places to hide (warm side and cool side), and large log/branch to climb on.

I've spoke to a few people and some say "oh they can go months without eating" and others say "it's only adults that you don't need to worry about if they don't eat".

He was on pinks, but was advised last week that maybe they're to small for him so i should try him fluffs, but he still not interested.

He seems happy and active in the tank at night and also when held. He's shed his skin twice since January so it's obviously not that.

I've tried leaving him for a week or so and even covered his tank but nothing seems to be working.

Sorry if this is a long post, but i'm starting to get worried about him now. The only things that convinces me that there's nothing wrong is the fact he hasn't lost weight, he's still active and skin is still nice and bright.

Please help, thanks.

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  10:22:32  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, Yes corns can go a long time without eating however yours is quite small so I would guess it is too young for the usual breeding time fasts. The fact that he isn't losing weight is a good sign tho.

Can you give us more information about your set-up. How it is heated, how the heat is controlled, how you are measuring the heat, is he housed alone etc. That will help us to count out any other issues that may be causing him to not eat.

What have you tried so far to get him to eat?

Have a read through this to see if it gives you any help
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  14:43:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And if you can answer the questions on this it might help a bit more: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662

Cheers

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  18:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know if this might help. I am very new to snakes but i was told to try feeding in a box, it worked! my sons Kellogs hadnt eaten for 3 weeks.

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  18:57:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what's the enclosure like?
what are the temps like?
how is it heated?
how is the heat controlled?
has it ever fed for you?
was it previously a good feeder?
how are you thawing the food?
how are you heating it prior to offering it to the snake?
are you still handling it?
are the hides a suitable size or are they 'to grow into'?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000