Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn literally never comes out of her hide, she used to but doesnt anymore (unless im missing it which is unlikely)...

shes not scared or threatened by me as shes very relaxed and friendly when i hold her - she even drinks from my hand.. really lovable and playful wen out, its just that for the last couple of weeks she never comes out of her own accord...

is there anything i should be doing?

x Never tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints upon the moon x

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  08:33:25  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
is it the warm or the cool hide?
if it's the warm hide it might not be warm enough for her, if it's the cool hide the warm end might be too warm

could she be coming up to shedding? though if it's been weeks this is less likely.....

what sort of enclosure is she in?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

is it the warm or the cool hide?
if it's the warm hide it might not be warm enough for her, if it's the cool hide the warm end might be too warm

could she be coming up to shedding? though if it's been weeks this is less likely.....

what sort of enclosure is she in?

its the cool hide.. but the warm side is at about 72F, i thought that was about right?.. the only thing i use to heat that side up is a heat mat.. ino u can buy some mats that u can alter the temp on, but on the one i have u cant control the temp of it, its just automatically regulates the heat.

shes in a faun atm...

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you don't have a thermostat then?

How are you measuring the temps?

If you are not controlling the heatmat it will be getting way too hot for her.
Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

So you don't have a thermostat then?

How are you measuring the temps?

If you are not controlling the heatmat it will be getting way too hot for her.

i do have a temp gage inside the faun.. its says its at 72F.. but i havent got anything to ajust that temp... wen i bought her about 2 month ago, the guys in the shop said they'd given me everythin i needed.... i thought 72F was ok?

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to reduce the chance of the snake getting a bad burn you will need a thermostat hooked up to the heat mat. Digi thermometer will keep an eye on the temps.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:23:55  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Actually 72F is roughly 22*C which I think is too cool for a warm end temp, my hatchling is in a faun too and my warm end temp is 28.5/29.5*C and my young hatchling moves between hot and cold as she pleases, at the mo she loves her coconut hide in the warm end as I scrunched up a few bits of kitchen roll and put them in it, she seems to like that.
I would suggest that you def need a heatmat stat for temp control and a digi thermometer to give accurate temp readings.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 18/05/2011 10:24:56
Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

to reduce the chance of the snake getting a bad burn you will need a thermostat hooked up to the heat mat. Digi thermometer will keep an eye on the temps.

ok, thanks... what is the ideal temp for her then?

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:27:53  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The ideal temperature for you snake's vivarium is a temperature gradient of 21*C cool end (room temp roughly) and around 28-30°C warm end, roughly.

Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 18/05/2011 10:30:35
Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

Actually 72F is roughly 22*C which I think is too cool for a warm end temp, my hatchling is in a faun too and my warm end temp is 28.5/29.5*C and my young hatchling moves between hot and cold as she pleases, at the mo she loves her coconut hide in the warm end as I scrunched up a few bits of kitchen roll and put them in it, she seems to like that.
I would suggest that you def need a heatmat stat for temp control and a digi thermometer to give accurate temp readings.

shes always stayin in the cool hide tho, so it doesnt seem to be the fact that shes to cold.. ill hav to get a thermometer asap, thanks =)

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chances are the temp is nothing like that low.

Are you using a dial thermometer? If so it will be reading the ambient air temp, not the temp of the faun base where the snake will be touching. An un statted heatmat will reach temps as high as 40c, if not hotter.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-mat-stat-thermostat.html

xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:34:54  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptileheating/thermostats/9632100000027

This is the one I use and I have had no problems at all and it is cheaper than the Habistat.

Edited by - Ailsa on 18/05/2011 10:35:17
Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

Chances are the temp is nothing like that low.

Are you using a dial thermometer? If so it will be reading the ambient air temp, not the temp of the faun base where the snake will be touching. An un statted heatmat will reach temps as high as 40c, if not hotter.

ye its a dial thermometer..

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter where you get it from, you need a thermostat asap.Also ideally a digital probe thermometer.

I would turn off the mat and not feed the snake until you have the correct equipment and have your temps sorted.

Edited by - Invalid User on 18/05/2011 10:37:52
Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/reptileheating/thermostats/9632100000027

This is the one I use and I have had no problems at all and it is cheaper than the Habistat.

thanks alot

Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mamma

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-mat-stat-thermostat.html

xxx

thanks

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  10:43:37  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Once you get your stat and the heatmat, and try getting it as soon as you can (like order it now online lol) is controlled your snake will be a lot more happier and she will then use her warm end hides.

Go to Top of Page

xoLauraox
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  11:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Once you get your stat and the heatmat, and try getting it as soon as you can (like order it now online lol) is controlled your snake will be a lot more happier and she will then use her warm end hides.

im ordering the stat now lol, thanks! =).. so do u just plug the heat mat into it?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  11:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a read of this, might help

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

and this

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Edited by - Invalid User on 18/05/2011 11:12:49
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  11:13:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
plug the stat into the wall socket, the heatmat into the stat, and put the probe either in the viv or on the heatmat outside (depending on the particular set-up)
use the *C on the stat as a guide only, set the temps according to what your thermometer actually reads

(it will all make sense when you have the stuff in front of you lol)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000