Adjustment time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  11:28:55  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi there

We picked up Hongy (3 and a half year old) on Saturday and I read, too late, that we shouldn't try to handle him for at least a week. Unfortunately, as we had already handled him with the previous owner...we did try. He was pretty nervous and not happy, so we haven't tried since.

He had his first feed with us yesterday...which went fine, he struck from inside his hide and ate quite happily before slinking back in. So the plan was to leave him until Saturday now before we attempt to handle him again.

Would you say that our attempt to handle him too early would have set him back and we should leave him longer...and is two days after a feed long enough to wait before trying to handle him? I realise that this can differ from snake to snake, I am just looking for peoples experience..

Also, went to the pet shop yesterday to get some supplies...and am already eyeing up other potential purchases....lol, one week in and already addicted

Thanks

Dave

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  11:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be fine. The only reason it is suggested not to handle for the fisrt week is to reduce the possible stress but seeing as your Hongy has taken a feed it seems he is settled in and happy. :)

Ideally wait 48hrs after a feed or some people wait until the snake has poo'd to avoid the snake dumping all over them lol
Go to Top of Page

PureLoneWolf
Snake Mite

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:02:36  Show Profile  Visit PureLoneWolf's Homepage  Click to see PureLoneWolf's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hehehh - To be honest, I think we are both willing to risk the pootential** mess as we are both dying to hold him :)

**sorry

0.0.1 Corn (Hongy)
Go to Top of Page

jimspook
Egg

77 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely all about not getting dumped on lol

0.1.0 Normal CB09 - Artemis

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic