Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  09:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all your comments guys...

So i'm going to treat Twiglet for burns.. how do I go about doing this??

Shes already separated from Tango and in a small viv with paper towels as substrate. Going to try and find somewhere that will have Tamodine today. Can anyone give me instructions on what I should be doing? and for how long etc and will she ever heal completely??? or will she always be like this now? :( thanks

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  09:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgot to add im getting a new stat too. The other one must have failed it was old. :(

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  11:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the stat failed then yes it's a burn so treat it as such.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  13:35:11  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you got a digital thermometer to check the temps to see if it is the heatmat? Have you turned the heatmat off since your other snake is still in there?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  14:24:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
looks like a burn to me but it's NOT a recent one as the damaged skin is now shedding out......how long have you had her?

as already suggested treat the sore bits with Tamodine/Vetadine (or Iodine at a push if you're stuck) initially twice a day
use kitchen roll/newspaper as substrate and keep the enclosure scupulously clean to reduce the risk of infection

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  15:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I totally wrong that tamodine/vetadine is just a vetinary version of iodine that doesn't sting something shocking like iodine does when applied to open wounds?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  15:21:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yep, it's been extensively tested on reps and is marketed as 'reptile-safe iodine'

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  18:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive had her for ages, and I have only just noticed this when the shed come off it must have been sore for her as she started zooming about and when moving across the substrate it was like she was trying to elevate her bottom half. :(

I have been running about trying to get some iodine stuff etc but everywhere has either sold out or don't do it :( so i'm ordering some online now. I let her soak her body in just warm water to make sure she was at least clean, she is on kitchen towels now.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  18:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would make sure it remains dry. It does sound like she has burnt herself either because the stat has failed or your stat probe is not correctly placed. I have mine stuck to the mat with hot glue. I use hot glue to keep stuff I don't want moving getting moved, its totally safe too, once its heated a small amount of wax is evaporated away and whats left is just plastic and once its cooled its solid.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  21:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. it should arrive here tomorrow

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok guys...got recent photos of Twiglets injury. ive been using vetadine and sometimes soaking her in a weak iodine solution,
I have noticed that the area smells well, not very nice, but im not sure if this is the iodine making her small or what?? I have heard of scale rot, could it be that?

its alot darker in colour than in the picks like a brownish colour, but i'm not sure whether thats because of the iodine and vetadine?

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  19:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(these pics were taken about 7days ago sorry guys) its a more brown colour now, i dont have a camera at the moment

Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  21:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this may be obvious but i would take her to the vets just to be sure

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  22:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it smells its either the dead skin beginning to rot due to not been kept clean and dry or a bacterial or fungal infection, the tamedine should kill off any bugs but don't soak her in it, just treat the area. As above though, you may be as well to get a course of antibiotics to curb any infection deeper than on the surface as it sounds like its quite deep set.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  00:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd highly recommend a vet visit if it's starting to go off colour and smell.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  08:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would see a vet now.
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  10:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, i wouldnt wait around any longer!! get him/her straight to a vet!!

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  14:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am gonna completely against the grain. Its not a burn at all.

To me it looks a lot like scale rot, the damaged scales have been sloughed with the old skin, hence why in the pics above they look all deformed.
To me there looks to be no damaged at all to the skin, so antibiotics etc are gonna do nothing at all.
The answer is, keep the snake completely dry, even to the point where you use a tiny water bowl so the snake cant get in it, keep on paper towels, no spraying, no bathing, nothing that will get moisture on to the scales. The scales will regrow and she will be fine in a few weeks or months.

Its not a burn at all.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  14:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This picture you can see the skin folding as you would expect from having no scales, you can see the funny wrinkles in it.

Same with this one, however, you can at the sides see the edges of the scales going up the flanks

On this one, looking at the flank scales on the left just as the body is mod bend, you can see the scales are not a uniform shape, classic sign of scale rot.

Perfect pic, just to the left of centre, you can see the middle of scales falling apart, the damaged bits have been sloughed with the skin, which you can see in the shed on the previous page.

Again, you can see that the scales are missing, not burnt.

As above, a vet wont be able to do anything, except tell you this....
Keep her immaculately dry all the time, the scale rot is a fungus and requires moisture to survive, think of it as similar to athletes foot, plently of airing and keep dry.

^^^thats what the vet will say. (should)

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  17:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you so much for that answer!!!!! I had scale rot on my mind and felt absolutely terrible as her cage is always clean and dry!!

Ive been going out of my mind trying to find an exotic vet around my area but nothing.

shall i keep applying vetadine?

should I offer her food? (she has lost ALOT of weight due to not eating whilst she was carrying eggs and now this) i was worried that if I offered her food and she constricted it, the mouse would transfer germs etc onto her wounds if and when she constricted it?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000