Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  12:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so woke up to find that Twiglet had attempted to shed....

Found her with some patches of shed hanging off her etc, looking pretty scruffy and patchy.
So I rushed out to get some moss and gave her a moist hideto see if it would help her.

She seemed quite lethargic and wasn't bothered about moving about she just wanted to lay still so she was left overnight in her moist hide.

This morning her shed looked a bit more loose. and a little bit was sticking up on her nose where it looked like she had tried to start getting it off again. I was worried for her so i damped my hands and started stroking her head with my finger and slowly and gradually it started peeling away, she sat still whilst I did this and let me carry on, she seemed quite relieved. It came off until about a 1/3 of the way down her body (as it became patchy there and had already had quite a bunched up piece of shed still attached to her) I started to help her with these pieces, It was going well until it started to feel a bit more tight and dry the further i was going. Some of the bunched up parts that came off her seem to have the colour of her scales on them and I am soooo worried about this and am beginning to think I shouldn't have helped her but I was worried that her body would damage being under unshedded skin??

It all seems to be off her now but her underside looks terrible :'( :'( It looks dry and like the scales are in a bad way (I would describe it as looking like there may be some shed still on there but im pretty sure its not that) another worry is that her top end slithers normally (looks normal too) but her bottom end seems to look sore when she slithers and like she wants to elevate it...this is making me worry for her.

Forgot to mention I had soaked her in a warm water bath yesterday before putting away for the night, and again just now after her shed was removed because she looked so sore :(

Both eye caps and the tail tip are now off so these are not a worry.

I will try and get some photos now but I am worried that she will be like this forever??? or will she heal?

(there was no humidity in he viv prior to shedding, she doesn't usually have a problem and has plenty of branches rocks etc to help etc, In the future I am going to provide a humid hide prior to shedding, also she laid a clutch of eggs a couple of weeks back, didn't eat whilst she was carrying them but fed after they were laid)

***thread title edited by HannahB***

Edited by - HannahB on 18/05/2011 19:41:24

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  12:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is her home heated? Is it a heatmat? Is it statted? Could it be a burn? Pics will help otherwise it's all guess work.
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  12:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

(The best photos I can get sorry, the little green bits are moss as I had to take her out of there for photos, also that more orangey corn isn't her, its my other corn insistent on coming out)!

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  13:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She looks burnt for some reason, or just very sore.

I would split her from the other corn, put her on kitchen towel as a substrate, and treat the sore bits with something like Tamodine, or even Manuka honey if you can get any.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  13:31:50  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Will be intrestsing to see what it is. It kinda looks like an extra layer of skin pealed away that wasn't supposed to? Like it looks like fresh skin is kinda on the old shed skin if that makes any sense. I hope it's not a burn for you though and that she gets better soon!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  13:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope snakeys ok xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  13:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, I don't know anything about this sort of stuff but i'm quite confident its not a burn, I think it must be a layer of skin that came away which shouldn't have as you can see traces of it in the shed...I just don't know whether it will heal itself or what??? Is it liable to infection???? should she be kept in moist or dry conditions?? she is currently in her moist moss hide and I don't know what the damp conditions could affect her skin like??? has anyone experienced this before???

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  13:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do as sexybear has suggested.

How is her home heated? Is it a heatmat, is it statted?
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  13:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what Tamodine is :S where can i get this from??

Yep its a heat mat and yeh it has a thermostat on it, my other corn is fine so this is why i think its due to the shed and the scales :(

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:

ok so ive set twig up in a mini viv (inside the old one just incase of an escape)! she is on paper towels now and has a cool and warm area and separate from other snake. where can I buy this Tamodine stuff from???? what will it do??

Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry me again... just read on another reptile forum that they use Iodine as its the same stuff as tamodine but cheaper...is this true???? I may be able to get hold of iodine easier than getting hold of tamodine...

of course, i don't want to hurt Twiglet so any advice?? will iodine be safe? (I have had iodine spray in the past to treat cuts on my horse and it seems to work for them??)

I can find a chemist and get some if you guys think it will be ok?

Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  14:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like a burn type thing to me too... its deff not normal for that coloured skin to come off too ... because my littlen struggles to shed and every time she does i help her along, i found bathing her in water made it worse and dryer so im going to try moss next time... but i gently rubbed away all the shed including her head and she seemed to really appreciate it ... ive heard before people using iodine to help skin problem like fungus etc so i think it should be safe !! hope your snakey gets better soon!!

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  15:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Rep shops sell tamodine or yu may have to buy online. If your local petshop doesn't sell tamodine it maybe better if you can get iodine. Keepo her dry apart from the wound healers too! Being damp is likely to make the wound worse!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  15:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive asked my bf to pick some iodine up from the chemist on his way home. shes on dry paper towels

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  16:23:51  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I must admit it does look like Shes burnt herself. Get the latest copy of practical reptile keeping there's a good right up in there on treating burns

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  16:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh the poor girl, it looks so sore. Sorry i can't offer you any more advice but I really hope she gets better soon

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  18:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it looks a lot like a burn its will be a good idea to just reassess every possible source.

Are your stat probes securely fixed to the heat mat?

Any unguarded lighting? (Or guarded for that matter).

I've also heard of old wounds/scars been agitated during a bad shed but I'm not too sure how recent a healed wound would need to be to reoccur like that.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lozy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  19:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she has been fine up until her shed, I feel like I may have helped her take it off when it wasn't ready to so the scales hadn't developed properly? is this a possibility? I have got a new stat on order because we think its possible it may be broken.

I hope she will be ok :( very worried for her I feel terrible for her!

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  20:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you have a digital thermometer on the heatmat? Thermostat dials can sometimes be a bit inaccurate. Also that would tell you if the thermostat has failed

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong, but unless you have really tugged at the skin i doubt you have taken it off early, when i do it i dampen my fingers and jump roll my fingers around and some bit get really tough but you just keep going ... unless your actually really peeling it which it doesnt look like i dont think its your fault !!

I know what its like though im a worry wart !!!!

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  09:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh that looks painful. I'm not surprised you're so worried. I hope you get to the cause of this and she starts recovering. Fingers crossed for the poor snakey.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000