Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  21:44:33  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi after the struggles I had yesterday with my new corn Cilla i got the new faun and digi thermometer today, warmed it up and put her in, after an hour I fed her, I thought she would be off her food with all the struggles but no straight in, guess she was hungry :)... my problem now is the temps keep fluctuating between 29 and 32 :/ and she is sleeping in her hide at the cool end, surely her food wont digest like this, should i move her and turn the thermo down again ( up and down like a yo-yo ) any help will be gratfully received

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  21:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its too hot if its hitting 32 though mat-stats do fluctuate so don't worry that stops been so wild once everything warms up. Is your thermometer probe inside the faun on the bottom and the thermostat probe still outside on the mat which is also outside and underneath half of the faun at the most?

Don't worry about where she is and dont move her, just get the temperatures right and she'llk make her own mind up about where to be.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 01/05/2011 21:49:41
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:05:18  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
both probes are tied together inside the faun on the floor aiming to middle of mat like the post on here from mike (i think) shows us, the mat is under the faun at one end but i didn't use the polystyrene and does it matter if i dont have an air gap like shown?? I have set it up almost exactly like the 1 shown on here ...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:07:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as your stat seems to be +/- 1.5*C, i'd just knock it down to 27-30*C, or even 26-29*C

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:07:50  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dakota never seems to be under the same hide and she loves curling up on top of her leafy plastic vine, my thermostat prob sits on top of heat mat, digi thermometer prob is on bottom of faun under substrate with warm hide sitting on top and the warm temp sits between 28.5 and 29.5 degrees celcius

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:08:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as for an air gap - it depends on what type of mat you have..........i think E-T Desert or Rainforest mats MUST have an airgap to prevent it burning out

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:20:49  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks, i have a habistat vivarium heat mat 6 x 7" 7 watts ? is this right ? the stat is at just past 26 now.
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:23:50  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

as for an air gap - it depends on what type of mat you have..........i think E-T Desert or Rainforest mats MUST have an airgap to prevent it burning out

can you tape the probe to the heat mat and do you mean your probe is outside the faun?? I got both tied together inside faun just under a little aspen ontop of mat but not under the hide, just next to it?? xx
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your heat mat inside the faun too?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the way I've found best for temperature regulation, (I tried a few different ways, this one worked best/stays most accurate)

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  22:51:28  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes it is inside on faun floor should i move it to outside then? your picture is not the same as the 1 little mike showed, his shows the probe and thermo probe tied together inside the faun on floor, here is the link, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  23:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kopite_di

yes it is inside on faun floor should i move it to outside then? your picture is not the same as the 1 little mike showed, his shows the probe and thermo probe tied together inside the faun on floor, here is the link, http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Thats how I set mine up when I had a faunarium.

Just do as GP suggested and turn your stat down a couple of degrees. I found it took me a few hours of stat tweaking before I got the right temps
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  23:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a few variations of pretty much the same setup, I tried a few of them over a month and found the way I have illustrated in my diagram to be the most accurate with the smallest fluctuations.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  23:40:28  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks so frustrating, i just hope she dont come to any harm with all the messing about, she ate her food with no problems so guessing she is ok, she's just very quiet now and sleeping under hide at cool end, I will do what you say Lotabob and have a fiddle around tomorrow hopfully she will be ok tonight, other thing, are these fauns safe? I mean i have put lids down secure but can she get out and should i put something heavy on top dont want to wake up and find her gone xx
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  23:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fauns are not 100% escape proof but its unlikely that a tiny hatchling will figure out the way out. She will probably be inactive for the next 48 hours while digesting and don't worry corn snakes are bullet proof it takes a lot to throw them off their game. Turning the mat down for now so it doesn't go over 30oC is the only essential action to take, it does take a little bit of time to tweek the setting on the stat until your happy with it.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 01/05/2011 23:45:37
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  22:43:27  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you, it is now at a steady 28.9 to 29.4 so I'm leaving it lol. She is moving around a little from warm to cool, if she was yes yesterday When would it be safe to start handling her, and sorry If this is daft question but how do I get her out of the faun ? X
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  22:44:31  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry should of said fed not yes, doh
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  23:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
leave 48 hours after a feed at least but depends really, i usually wait until after my corn poops (2-3 days) to avoid any mucky hand situations.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  23:29:03  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And how do you get him out of faun, should I take lid off or just put my hand through the openings, will she lunge for me or just be inquisitive ? After the seller told me they can strike if startled I'm a bit wary lol x x
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  10:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cam using a ministat to monitor temp and cant seem to get it above 22c, i have inserted the thermometer probe underneath a small amount of substrate, not sure if its the stat or heatmat but temp doesnt seem to go up, im really new aswell so any help would be great, fed ok this morning gulped it down so that went well atleast

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  13:21:06  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi not sure if I got this right but was told to turn stat up to 29 also told to try different ways with stat probe to find best place mine is tied with thermometer probe and laid on floor inside faun my temps are still varying between just under 28 to just over 29 so I'm leaving it she is happy and wondering around :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000