Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 should my corn snake feel warm to the touch ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  19:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally got the temp working on my faunarium, now my new corn has spent the whole day on the warm side in the hide and so far hasnt moved to the hide on the cool side, is he over heating or am i just a beginner in a panic lol all advice is greatly appreciated

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  21:07:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if he gets too warm he'll move (providing the heat isn't overly fierce where he could burn before he realises but unlikely with a statted mat )

when you get him out if he's been in the warm end he'll feel warm and if he's been in the cool end he'll feel cool - they don't create or maintain body heat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  21:10:56  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My cilla is cold to touch hopefully someone with more experience will tell you , if not try and Google it hun, it may be that he is just sorting himself out, I know mine is fairly inactive during the day but come alive when I'm asleep, this I know because she is never where she was when I go to bed hope he's ok
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  21:23:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kopite_di

hopefully someone with more experience will tell you

^^done!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  21:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you to you both helps put my mind at ease, he also seems more of a night time active, im a lil nervous as only got him yesterday and want to get it right for him, he seemed ok earlier as he gulped his food down, the stat is hooked up and the thermometer shows a constant 25c variable slightly is that ok for him ? was told it should be 30c

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  23:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wheres your thermometer? A digital probe thermometer resting on your mat should be around 29c

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  00:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the probe from the stat sits on my heat mat ye, my thermometer probe sits on base of tank inside on the hot side

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  01:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its its 25oC it could do with been turned up until you get a reading of about 28oC.

You'll notice as well a cold snake will quickly warm in your hand stealing your heat and as they warm they tend to be more active. I had gecko's that would sit really still, warm up in your hand and then they were off like rockets, they were mental, jumping all over the place and they were vicious little gits too, easiest way to get them out their faun was let them bite you and lift them that way.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Rake
Hatchling

United Kingdom
200 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  08:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ouch lol derek* my lil girls choice lol* seems quite placid wasnt told how old he was but hes very tiny, have attemted turning stat up but there seems to be no change, should i insulate it or something ? i have a towel placed underneath to help stop heat loss

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000