help please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I got my 1st corn baby today , but i have a problem with the temps, I got a heat mat and mat stat but the sort of container they gave me doesn't have anywhere for me to drill hole, not a faunarium just plastic box with holes in, i had to put the probe under the lid and tape it down, but the container keeps filling with condensation and i cant see the temps without taking tape off, last time i checked it was about 28 is this ok or should i turn the stat up??? also used polystyrene to get air flow and so mat is not in contact with container.. another thing, should i place heavy object on lid over night so cilla dont escape ?? thanks all I know I should of been more prepared but trusted the guy in shop, tomorrow i will be going out first thing to get a proper faunarium and electric thermometer :/

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  21:23:32  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bet your saying to yourself that's what I get for trusting the guy in the shop and not going my own research. I got my first corn snake 3 weeks ago now, she's a bloodred corn just over 3 months old ahd her home is a lovely 5 star snakie faun lol, temps hover around 28/29 degrees celcius with the help of a heat mat stat and a digi thermometer, I wouldn't recommend using tape as your snake could get stuck to it and damage itself, it could be possible to weigh down the lid so she doesn't escape.
You'll get loads of really good advice on here, I'm only a beginner with snakes. Good luck to you and Cilla snakie :)

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.

Edited by - Ailsa on 30/04/2011 21:34:04
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  21:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put together a little diagram on another forum for how to setup a faun/box to show the positioning of the heat mat, thermostat probe, thermometers etc.

The lid will need to be VERY secure, they are brilliant escape artists.

The ideal temperature of the heat mat is 28-29 degrees centigrade, this allows for a little bit of fluctuation each way.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  21:39:51  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and thank you, I am kicking myself and although I researched 1st I still fell for the trap of believing the guy, feel so stupid now but got to make best of it for tonight and hope no harm is done, I am more worried about the condensation that is being caused, I removed wet aspen and put fresh in but it is still misting up... set stat to 29 now and like i said the bottom of container is not in contact so hoping it wont burn itself as for tape it is just where the probe is going through so again hoping for the best as I dont think a heavy object will block the gap i am hoping cilla will stay asleep ;/
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  21:41:52  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I dont suppose it would be ok to leave the probe out for tonight,?? it's very warm in my house and i would leave mat on, think i will be taking it to bed with me tonight lol
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  21:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The condensation is just from moisture in the tub and probably lack of air holes for ventilation. Hoping Cilla stays asleep is not going to work, the second you turn the light out and go to bed Cilla will be out and about exploring, she will find any gaps and be out and away very quickly. Also dont believe the markings on the stat, its at best a guide but honestly a waste of ink, you need a digital thermometer to accurately see the temp and then you adjust the stat as required.

WHICH PROBE? If its the thermostat probe just put it on the heat mat on the outside.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 30/04/2011 21:44:23
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  21:56:04  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ahhh yes the thermostat probe, will that work putting it on the outside ?? getting a couple of the digital thermometers tomorrow 1 for each end and also getting new Faunerium, so i can safely put the lid down properly and put something heavy on top so she cant move it for tonight ??
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep put the stat probe on the mat outside, its actually better and more accurate when its touching the mat but because you dont have any way of accurately setting the stat, I'd just switch off the heat mat until you get a thermometer. The snake will be absolutely fine, its nice and warm at the moment. Just don't feed her until the heat mat is back on. Stick something heavy on the lid and to help with condensation don't cover any of the airholes already in the tub and if you can make some more holes.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Edited by - lotabob on 30/04/2011 22:01:32
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:13:48  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
great thank you, she is actually buried under the dry aspen I'm guessing that will keep her warm for tonight, haven't got any of the holes covered and put a heavy book on top :)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is her water bowl? If it's over the heatmat it will cause humidity and condensation.
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  22:21:00  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no it's in cold end but the aspen got wet when i was trying to sort mat out so changed it to dry substrate, not so bad now :) guessing will be better when i got bigger home ...
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I done about a year of research before I got my first snake but u don't truly learn until you own one, so good luck and enjoy.
Everyone has there own opinion on how to look after their pet but if the snake is happy and healthy then you are doing the right thing just listen to advice and you will be fine. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't know, no question is to stupid

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:30:28  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did weeks of researching before i got my first corn snake and am researching my second and third snake at the moment lol im doomed me thinks lol, you will find this site and the people on it a very good source of knowledge and experience.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

kopite_di
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  13:18:29  Show Profile  Click to see kopite_di's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh wow, thanks for your halp and warm welcome, got a faunarium and digi thermometer today let it warm a little then tried feeding cilla as she was due her feed, didn't need to bribe her she dived after it straight away and is now smacking her lips i'm well pleased :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000