New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carson1915
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  14:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'am waiting on a vivexotic LX36 to arrive, i want to put lighting in for decoration only and was wondering what type and colour is the best, also wheres the best places to buy it.

Also now that i'am getting a 3ft wooden viv my mat will be inside so my questions for this is

1.what is the best way to stick it down to stop carson getting under it?
2.what is the best type of stat and does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy it?

Thanks for any help.

Admin - Signiture image too large - please resize

1 Wild type Corn - F - Carson
1 bearmese Mountain Dog - Boston

Wishlist:

Royal Python
Hognose
Iguana

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  15:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its decoration only you cant go wrong with LED strips, they generate as close to no heat as is possible and they are plastic and robust enough to not need a guard.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  16:56:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used push LED lights as I can't be bothered to fit strip LED lights! The strip ones are quite cheap on e-bay though.

You don't need to stick your mat downn. You can use aquarium seal along the bare laminted edges or cover with lino but mine is held in place by a heavy hide and none of mine have gotton under that mat, not even mu King suprisingly.

Best stat I haven't a clue, there has been some bad talk on microclimate so I just bought a habistat pluse. Pulse keeps the tempreture withing 1c while mat ones can vary more. Best place to buy is e-bay :p

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  18:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use habistat thermostats, nicely built, easy to use and I have 2 mat-stats, that set me back £20 each and they give me a great steady heat with very little variation.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 30/04/2011 18:01:18
Go to Top of Page

antcherry88
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  20:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can buy LED strips which are encased in rubber and have tape on the back, so just peel off and stick to the roof. Ebay is the cheapest. White ones are a bit bright so green or blue are best in my opinion.

I just use duct tape along the laminated edge to hold mats in place.

Habistat stats work fine for me. Surrey reptile supplies are really cheap for all types of equipment.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  20:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tape in my opinion is a no no inside any snake enclosure. If even a small part of the adhesive side (or the sticky edges of duct tape) becomes exposed and catches a hold of the snake, it has no way of freeing itself. It can cause skin damage, rip whole scales off cause untold amounts of stress and the last thing you want to have to do is try freeing your snake from tape. Aquarium sealant, hot glue or even drawing pins in the 4 corners through the laminate only are all better options. I dont stick my mats down, as long as the thermostat probes are stuck to the mat (I use hot glue to securely fasten them down) its OK for them to get underneath it wont burn them.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2011 :  20:40:59  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Blue LED strips from Ebay arrived today, so will put them in soon. Only a tenner!

I have a couple of Habistats and a microclimate. In my opinion Habistat are WAY the best and are good at keeping a constant temperature. Mine only vary by a degree or 2 over 24 hours. My microclimate will flicker all the way between 27 and 32 and shows a completely different reading every single minute of the day! Def won't be buying another one of them...

And as mentioned above, SPS are THE place to get your reptile bits. Very cheap and speedy delivery.

Pete

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Edited by - ptmbradley on 30/04/2011 20:41:48
Go to Top of Page

Only1Nitro
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Only1Nitro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Light wise wilko's do an under counter light for under a tenner, you need to put a plug on it but then can run inline so you can have more than one light running on one plug if you have more than one viv its what i use

Male Charcoal = Sterling
Female Carolina = Fofo
Female Butter = Amarelo
12 Eggs

Edited by - Only1Nitro on 01/05/2011 01:31:06
Go to Top of Page

centricmalteser2
Banned

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  01:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I used Geocel Aquairum sealant to stick the heat mat down and placed some over the connector bit (where cable joins mat) to "waterproof it" and also to seal any holes that isn't needed, this needs 48 hours to cure as toxics are harmful, once cured, it is fine and safe, u can find this on ebay or most aquairum shops - comes in a small glue packet style or bigger where you need a sealant gun

I use a habistat thermostat but I am now looking to get the pulse themrostat: link below for ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HABISTAT-PULSE-PROPORTIONAL-Reptile-Thermostat-Vivarium-/120552201366?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item1c11789c96

Kehhlyr recommended to me the following for lighting so I have day light (because my room doesnt let much daylight in) and a red night light in case want to view my corn without disturbing it

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9706465&fh_view_size=50&fh_start_index=0&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=spotlight&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true
Got two of these, and you use ordinary eletrical cable - brown, blue, neutral which you screw onto the connector and then onto a plug.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/21-48-60-78-GU10-LED-Day-white-Energy-Saving-Light-Bulb-/260678394006?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&var=&hash=item82637f9730
This is the day light bulb, I'm getting the 21 LED

and finally

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1x-GU10-21-LED-BULB-RED-UK-SELLER-ENERGY-SAVING-/180649104133?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item2a0f869305
Night time bulb

These bulbs are different to ones you get from b&q because they use less energy and certainly give off very little heat if any.

I also put a branch in my viv witha vine tied to it and then attached to side of viv using cable clips and then wrapped a leafy vine around it

EDIT: link for ebay habistat thermostat

quote:
Originally posted by Carson1915

I'am waiting on a vivexotic LX36 to arrive, i want to put lighting in for decoration only and was wondering what type and colour is the best, also wheres the best places to buy it.

Also now that i'am getting a 3ft wooden viv my mat will be inside so my questions for this is

1.what is the best way to stick it down to stop carson getting under it?
2.what is the best type of stat and does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy it?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by - centricmalteser2 on 01/05/2011 01:44:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000