partitioning a viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  20:43:58  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello peeps.

I'm thinking of getting an LX36 in a few weeks and dividing it in half, so my 17" snow and 15" carolina each get roughly an 18x15 home. Then when they get big enough I'll stack another viv on top so they get one each. Plus a 3rd for Pandora, who recently moved into an 18 inch square exo terra.

Is it gonna be ok to do that and how exactly do you partition? Is it just literally a piece of wood cut to size and secured with aquarium sealant?

Cheers!

Pete

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley

Is it just literally a piece of wood cut to size and secured with aquarium sealant?

It is, though the top of the viv will need to be off to get it in and a nice tight fit.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:33:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no! there's no need to take the viv to bits! lol
just put the partioning piece in through the doors (held horizontally) then move into a vertical position!

a correctly cut partiion can be secured with blocks or pieces of wood screwed down either side to keep it stable and secure, then siliconed if required

it really is easy, even i can do it lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats exactly what I did with Loki and Falcors viv. Didn't even take the top off as the viv was ready built,easier if you can though.
I also cut out a notch in the divider big enough for a vine to pass through so each snake has half a vine each too.
You may need some felt or similar just to fill the gap between the divider and the glass so one snake can't get into the other snakes half.
A paper binder is great for sealing the gap between the glass doors so they can't escape through it,and also protects snakeys nose if they try to push on the door too.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:41:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i also had one large heatmat heating both sides, it just went underneath the partition, only need one stat to run it too

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  21:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snap!! Also even though you have the heatmat in the middle of the viv,its worth making the hole for the heatmat cable and stat on the side of the viv that you eventually plan to have it on when the time comes to move the snakes into seperate vivs.
All you have to do then is move the heatmat over.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  23:18:21  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i also had one large heatmat heating both sides, it just went underneath the partition, only need one stat to run it too

ooooooh I like that idea! You just saved me a good few quid! Thanks GP! lol

Will have to get onto this soon then I think. Rubs and fauns are nice and cheap and easy, but they don't look as nice as a proper viv do they?

Cheers guys. I presumed it would be fine to do that but always best to check with those with more experience first!

Pete

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  11:43:13  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, "in a few weeks" turned out to be yesterday! lol

Built it last night and ran some sealant around the edges and vents, so now I just got to sort out the partition and put the mat and probes in before I decorate it. Should be up and running soon enough and then I will monitor the temps for a day or 2 before I move my snow. Not moving the baron until I know if I get to keep him or if the gf is stealing him, coz don't want the poor thing upping sticks only to move again a few days later!

Pete

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  12:03:23  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haha impatient were you lol.

How about some pics showing your progress and the final result

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  12:07:06  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Haha impatient were you lol.

How about some pics showing your progress and the final result

lol patience never was one of my strong points!

Will wait and post some finished pics in a few days. Would quite like to get some LED lighting too, but not sure whether to go for red or blue...

Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  12:14:27  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it was me I would just go for the normal LED lights but that's just cause I don't like the red and blue ones

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  12:38:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not moving the baron until I know if I get to keep him or if the gf is stealing him...

tell her to get her own!!

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  14:20:46  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

If it was me I would just go for the normal LED lights but that's just cause I don't like the red and blue ones

I probably would, but I've got some regular ones shining down on my terra and Pandora doesn't show unless I turn them off! But I like the mood lighting of red and blue so I don't mind. I read that snakes either don't see the red or it just doesn't bother them, and blue is a bit moonlight-y, so I dunno.

GP I hope I can convince her to get her own coz the baron is gorge and I wanna keep him! lol But being the big softie that I am, I already said to her that if she doesn't see one at the weekend she can have him. Just means I gotta find me another one. Damn!! lol

This blimmin partition has given me grief! I'm not AT ALL practical which doesn't help! lol I cut a piece and it was marginally too big, so I chopped just a little bit off. At least I THOUGHT it was a little bit! But then it was too small with a huge gap! Grrrr! Still, 2nd attempt was ok and it's in place now.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  15:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

I probably would, but I've got some regular ones shining down on my terra and Pandora doesn't show unless I turn them off! But I like the mood lighting of red and blue so I don't mind. I read that snakes either don't see the red or it just doesn't bother them, and blue is a bit moonlight-y, so I dunno.

Not sure if you have seen this thread but these lights look great

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15336&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  16:24:44  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, they look lovely!

Hi ho, hi ho, and off to ebay I go... lol

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  18:04:19  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just ordered these, with an adapter...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003N8EAL6/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000