United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering what people consider the best way to defrost pinkies and mice

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:26:02  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Personally I just leave them out in a bit of tupperware overnight. All I know for sure is you shouldn't microwave them - even though I read somewhere that you could.

Apart from the potential of a messy explosion, nuking them can cause bacteria growth or something.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take mines out in the morning and by the evening they are defrosted sufficiently, if it was bigger items though you may need to leave them out for longer such as overnight or warm them up in a glass of warm water

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:37:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I take them out and put them in a tub normally. If pressed for time I get a freezer bag and warm water and defrost like that.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pop them in a cup of warm/lukewarm water for 45 mins to an hours, give em a squish to make sure it's all defrosted and then a quick dunk in hot water as my littlest corn prefers his warm! My snow doesn't require the dunk, but I do it out of habit now!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  18:59:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
get a load out the freezer, put them in a plastic livefoods tub that has a lid (cat-proof! ) and leave it out overnight to feed in the morning, if i'm in a hurry i'll put the tub on a warm radiator.............but not for too long!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use to pop the mice in warm water to defrost or place them in a bowl that was standing in a larger bowl of warm water but had problems with the mice popping when the corn struck at it, eewwwww. I now leave to defrost naturally and had no more popping :)

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do the warm water thing Havent witnessed the popping of the mice....yet

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wrap them individually in cling film and lay them out on the warm spot on the roof of the royal python's viv. I take them out when I get home from work ready for when they all start moving about in the evening, defrosting usually takes a few hours, but I give them a squeeze and turn them occasionally.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  19:56:57  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i take them out, pop in a little tup tub and leave over night, then warm over boiling kettle in morning and snakie munches them down

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  20:22:46  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley
All I know for sure is you shouldn't microwave them - even though I read somewhere that you could.

Apart from the potential of a messy explosion, nuking them can cause bacteria growth or something.

ummm yeah id advise again nuking them from personnal experiance (new microwave)

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  20:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley
All I know for sure is you shouldn't microwave them - even though I read somewhere that you could.

ummm yeah id advise again nuking them from personnal experiance (new microwave)

I think james might actually divorce me if I started Nuking mice! hahahahaha

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  21:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

I use to pop the mice in warm water to defrost or place them in a bowl that was standing in a larger bowl of warm water but had problems with the mice popping when the corn struck at it, eewwwww. I now leave to defrost naturally and had no more popping :)

I also use the warm water to defrost and warm mine, and yes the mice do often poo, Never thought this may be the reason they poop, hehe
going to try the next couple feeds defrosting naturally, to see what happens. Will post on this experimental trial soon
Thanks Red

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  23:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
POP as in burst, for some reason rapidly defrosted mice are more likely (or so they say) to burst when a constricting snake constricts.

They do poo though as they defrost lol. Bit odd.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2011 :  23:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

POP as in burst, for some reason rapidly defrosted mice are more likely (or so they say) to burst when a constricting snake constricts.

They do poo though as they defrost lol. Bit odd.

aww Bob you now have me thinking... yuck popped mouse, think I may throw up myself if that ever happened, although so far it has not ever happened to me,(fingers crossed) lol. But the pooing mice I can cope with, maybe I will now go with natural defrost, and a little warm up before feeding.
I don't want no body popping mice lol

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  18:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The popping is not good. I have quite a strong stomach with that sort of thing, but I have to say the first time it happened it really did turn my stomach. Mouse dripping from the snakes mouth was not good. After the second popping I will never defrost in warm water again, though I think it may just be Keith hits the mouse so hard, its not happened with any of the other snakes.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Edited by - Red123 on 27/04/2011 18:22:22
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  19:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I used frozen mice I defrosed them in hot water and thankfully never had a popped mousey :)
Go to Top of Page

WendyBall
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  19:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting reading on how different people defrost, I was reading somewhere of someone defrosting in warm water and a stock cube!
Go to Top of Page

Tic_Tac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  21:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm just thinking ahead .... when going on holiday I was planning on paying someone to come in every 3 days to look after the snake. Do you think a mouse that was taken out of freezer on day one and left in the fridge would still be fresh on day 3?

My only thoughts are not having to pay someone to hang around for a couple of hours whilst a mouse defrosts?
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  21:29:31  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I usually leave mine to defrost in a tub or on plate. The hoggies mice defrost in a tub with some salmon. Then i just put them in a little plastic bag and warm up in some warm water before feeding.

Tic-tac - I don't usually worry about mine being fed while I am on holiday, I just get my nephew to come in and change their water every other day. If you can plan ahead and make sure they are fed before you go then they should be fine to wait until you get back for their next feed. And just for my peace of mind I feed them 2 or 3 days before I go so I can make sure it is digested ok and no regurge.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  21:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the weather's improving break out the barbie!

1.0.0 Beaker (10-8-09 amel)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000