New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dava73
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a two year old Sunglow cornsnake which has stopped feeding. I have tried everything, pinkies, baby, adult and big mice.

She looks fine, doesn't seem to have lost any weight and is very active. She drinks water and she seems to be very happy. It must be about 3-4 months now since she last ate and I'm getting very worried.

I've read various things on the net, warming the food and so on but she just doesn't seem interested in the food. She goes to strike, flicks her tongue a few times but then loses all interest.

We handle her two to three times a week and her viv is set between 80-85º

Is this normal for them to go through this or should I take her to a vet? Also, should I try something different such as chicks, rat pups and so on?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dava.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you left the food in the viv with her overnight?
Go to Top of Page

dava73
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  18:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes mate, I have. On a few occasions. We have done this before and she did feed overnight. No such luck lately though. Boo hoo. Thanks for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  17:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to say that it is normal as my corn snake Scar hasnt eaten since november and he has shed twice since..second time being yesterday..and he still didnt eat..he did this, this time last year aswell and taken him to a vet and they said he was fine as long has he is drinking water and not losing weight...
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  17:44:44  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you could give more information about your set-up some of the more experienced keepers might be able to help. Also what does your snake weigh? The information could help eliminate possibilities.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

dava73
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  20:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. I will buy some scales sensitive to weigh her. I'm gonna journey up to the shop I bought her from and the weekend and see if they can help. I'm VERY worried about her and just wanna make sure she's okay.
Go to Top of Page

centricmalteser2
Banned

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  03:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to suggest something which another member toucher upon

Instead of leaving the food with her in the viv have you tried this?

Warm the food using water that is hot to your hand but NOT uncomfortable.

Get a small tub depending on her size of course,, place her in it, and paper towel dry the mouse, brain it (put an incision from the top of the head and cut towards the nose and squeeze with tweezers), place this in the same tub, and leave in a warm place in the dark,

I'd suggest trying this late in the evening like 10pm / 11pm.

Check back after half hour or so, and see if it's gone.

quote:
Originally posted by dava73

I have a two year old Sunglow cornsnake which has stopped feeding. I have tried everything, pinkies, baby, adult and big mice.

She looks fine, doesn't seem to have lost any weight and is very active. She drinks water and she seems to be very happy. It must be about 3-4 months now since she last ate and I'm getting very worried.

I've read various things on the net, warming the food and so on but she just doesn't seem interested in the food. She goes to strike, flicks her tongue a few times but then loses all interest.

Is this normal for them to go through this or should I take her to a vet? Also, should I try something different such as chicks, rat pups and so on?

Dava.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dava73

Dava.

I wouldnt worry too much, as long as the weight isnt falling off then its not a major drama, the only thing i would suggest for now, apart from monitoring her weight, is not handling her at all for now.
To give you an idea, and i know its not a corn, but, one of my royals has not eaten now for nearly 6 months, maybe slightly longer, very little weight has been lost, and he isnt ill, so just be patient.
Monitor the weight for a good few weeks, take note of how much weight is lost over a period of time, then look at other approaches.

Out of interest, are you certain she is a she??

Go to Top of Page

dava73
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  20:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Overwhelmed by the response to my question. Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom. We love our snake dearly and it's nice to know that there's a community of wonderful people that are willing to take the time to offer their support to others. Thank you all. Anyway, just wanted say, SHE HAS EATEN!!!! It was just a wee pinkie but at least it's a start. So happy. I'll probably wait a few days and try her on a rat pup. I did try putting her in a box with a brained mouse but she didn't take. I have however, got rid of my old heat mat and upgraded to a good quality heat lamp and dimmer thermostat. I went back to see the chap I bought her from and that's what he advised! Cost a small fortune but it's well worth it. Also, to be honest, I'm not sure of the sex of our snake but she's to beautiful to be a fella!!! I'll keep you all posted. Big love to you all. Peace.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000