My fat corn!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  13:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had my corn snake on a diet for about 6 months now - she's 3 and a half years old, about 4.5 feet long, and she started off weighing 860g.
I cut her feeding times from once a fortnight to once every three weeks, and although it's been slow progress, she's now down to 840g. Her little "hips" are a lot smaller, but she is still quite chunky round the middle.
I was just wondering if I should keep going and try to get her weight down more? I don't have a camera otherwise I would post some pictures, so I hope the weight/size is enough to give you some idea!

2.0.0 Western hognose (Baldrick and Bob)
0.1.0 Amel bloodred corn snake (Cornflake)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  14:17:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
congrats on the healthy lifestyle lol
if it's slow going it should be healthy weight-loss and i would persevere, my adult females have all been around the 500g mark, males around 750g BUT be guided by how she looks/feels

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  14:38:41  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe change rodent size too louise

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  14:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, Weightwatchers used to tell me the thing about slow weight loss being healthy... obviously it applies to all species!

Yes, I have tried to reduce the prey size as well, but the shop I used to get all my mice from closed down, and the shop I have to use now only has the one size. Is it feasible to cut bits off a larger mouse to make it a bit smaller, ie the legs and tail, or does this reduce the nutritional value? Or would it be OK to feed an equivalent weight in fuzzies?

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 05/05/2011 13:49:07
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  16:58:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wooohoo good for her ^^ Whats suize does the shop have? I find it very odd and bad buisness for them if they only stock like 2 sizes of mice!

If you haven't been feeding every 4 weeks I'd try that ^^

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  17:07:34  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LouiseB

...Weigh****chers used to tell me...

weightwatchers is in the swear filter??

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  17:18:10  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
t.w.a.t gp lol

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe try her on the stairs if you cant get any smaller mice - her burning the extra calories might help her shed a bit more

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  09:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me ages to work out why the swear filter had kicked in... just goes to show that censorship sometimes only points out things to be offended by that you would never have noticed otherwise!

Staple, the pet shop I use now is a small general one and I don't think they have a lot of demand for reptile stuff. All they do is pinkies, fuzzies, rat pups, and large mice. They do their best, but I do miss the old one :(

I will also try to get her to exercise a bit more. I do get her out for about an hour per day, and I let her have a slither around, but I hadn't thought of the stairs, so I'll definitely give that a try too. She does have a tendency to head straight for something to hide under and just stay there, though!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  14:55:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
:o that's pants! If you have lots of snakes and have room for like 3-6 months worth of food maybe it would be worth ordering online or if you know anyone else in your area with snakes to spilt the postage or something!

My fat guy doesn't like the stairs, he cant get a grip on the carpet. He has also become unintrested in the mass of loo rolls I dump in his viv XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

t.w.a.t gp lol

oh! how very rude of you!!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  15:50:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what worked for weight loss for my OAP was a split-level viv, his warm hide was 'downstairs' and 'upstairs' was his cool hide and water bowl
putting his water upstairs meant he had to use some energy climbing up to get to it

i just put a shelf in the viv, the whole depth but not the whole length - leaving a 6" gap at one end for Oscar to climb up and down. it effectively almost doubles their floor space too - handy for long corns too

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:49:13  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by a33272

t.w.a.t gp lol

oh! how very rude of you!!

heehee

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  19:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some do get a bit chubby just basically living in a box, as they don't seem to get a huge amount of exercise.
Others we've heard about on here seem to need the whole of the moon to be able to lose weight.
As GP and others have said, just try getting it out for a bit of exercise on stairs etc or shelf the viv so they have to move more.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

LouiseB
Snake Mite

16 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  14:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got her to climb the stairs yesterday... it was quite funny to watch, she tried everything apart from actually heading upwards, including shoving her nose into the corner of the tread, but she got the idea eventually and made it to the top. I will definitely persevere with this!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000