OH MY GOD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LoganHowlett
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:22:07  Show Profile  Click to see LoganHowlett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know i've obviously been silly, but i went to the pet store and told the guy i didnt know a lot about snakes but i wanted to get my first and needed EVERYTHING for it.
So he took me around grabbed ''EVERYTHING'' charged me and sent me on my merry way. After reading the stickies here, I HADRLY HAVE ANYTHING NEEDED! >_<
and he told me the more i handled my snake the better, and im supposed to have left it alone for a week! well i'm not touching Sparrow for a WEEK now so he can settle.
I wish i'd joined here earlier. Rookie mistakes and i'm really angry at myself now.
*rant over*

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most pet shops are the same, they get you to but just about everything bar the most important stuff. Your here now and thats a good thing. Will look to forward to pics later once Sparrow has settled. I love the name by the way. Don't be afraid to ask questions on here we are a really friendly bunch.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scrap looking forward to pics, just seen Sparrow in the photo section.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

LoganHowlett
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:43:23  Show Profile  Click to see LoganHowlett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Red, i wasnt even given a thermometer or a heat mat, he said it's a temperate snake so thats not needed, so i've got my desk lamp pointed at one side of his tank to keep it warm, he keeps burrowing into the shavings. Do you think he's ok?
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't leave the desk lamp on him. It will be best to leave him without heat and get to a pet shop as soon as you can for a mat, digital thermometer and a thermostat which is must when using any kind of heater. The weather is quite warm at the moment and having a lamp over him is likely to make it too warm especially as you have no way of regulating the heat from it he won't be able to thermoregulate. Make sure you don't feed him until you have heating sorted out for him as he won't be able to digest his food. I'm sure he will be fine with no heating for a couple of days.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  15:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, it's a familiar story, your not the first and you wont be the last.

Have a read through these if you haven't already and get the things you need asap. Have you fed her yet? If not, don't feed her until you have a proper heat source and a thermostat. The lamp isn't a good idea as you can't regulate the heat. You are best turning it off and making do with nothing for now, it's warm weather so should be ok.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Edit, sorry red posted as I wrote this

Edited by - Invalid User on 24/04/2011 15:54:11
Go to Top of Page

LoganHowlett
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  16:00:43  Show Profile  Click to see LoganHowlett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lamp turned off!
He said not to feed him till tuesday, the earliest a pet shop is open will be tuesday so i'll get the heat mat then and the thermometer.
Thanks guys :)
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  16:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the thermostat!! Alot of petshops don't bother selling them so you may need to order online.
Go to Top of Page

LoganHowlett
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  16:07:01  Show Profile  Click to see LoganHowlett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, heat mat, thermostat and two thermometers. Anything else? Just so im sure what i'm getting :)
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  16:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what else you have or are using but make sure you have some sort of foliage so the snake has cover and will feel more secure when moving around, silk or plastic is fine. Most people use things like toilet roll and kitchen towel tubes for hides, easy to throw away and replace when soiled. It saves pounds on using the exo terra ones. And funnily enough snakes seem to prefer the cardboard tubes and boxes to the reptile ones.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  17:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoganHowlett

I know i've obviously been silly, but i went to the pet store and told the guy i didnt know a lot about snakes but i wanted to get my first and needed EVERYTHING for it.
So he took me around grabbed ''EVERYTHING'' charged me and sent me on my merry way. After reading the stickies here, I HADRLY HAVE ANYTHING NEEDED! >_<
and he told me the more i handled my snake the better, and im supposed to have left it alone for a week! well i'm not touching Sparrow for a WEEK now so he can settle.
I wish i'd joined here earlier. Rookie mistakes and i'm really angry at myself now.
*rant over*

Welcome to the reptile shop introduction to snake keeping. Many many have been there but your snake is OK and you can put right the bits that need sorting so don't worry too much.

The not handling is more of a reccommendation than a rule, some snakes will be fine been handled, others not so well so to be sure its best to leave them a week to settle.

As Lou says, NO FEEDING until you get a heat mat, thermostat and thermometer, without the right temperature for digestion it can cause real problems from the snake regurgitating its meal to it rotting inside and killing it (its rare but possible).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 24/04/2011 17:09:49
Go to Top of Page

Tic_Tac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Having been in a very similar situation to you I understand how frustrated you feel!! Dont feel bad just buy the bits everyone has recommended as soon as you can and your new snake friend will be fine.

Welcolme to the fourm, everyone`s really friendly here

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

LoganHowlett
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2011 :  18:08:51  Show Profile  Click to see LoganHowlett's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys :)
you're all awesome :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  09:54:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There all like that, just a shame you can't name and shame to slag them off so they actually may start to think about the animals they are selling!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  14:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar situation wíth our first corn , and even now I heard them advize u don't need heat mats as room temp is fine , but u def need a mat . Thermostat and thermoms . Our house drops cold at nite and there is no way they cud digest food properly etc . This forum is great for advice ,and I wudnt beat urself up , sparrow will be fine until tuesday wen u can get the extra's u need :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000