New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ESmith1999
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  00:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I just got my second corn snake, a full size albino named Sierra, a couple of months ago. Sierra was living in another large vivarium with a ball python. Her vivarium at the time was a large cage with multiple hides and heat lamps, and a type of bark for substrate.

She's now by herself at my place, with a large aquarium (4 feet long) with aspen substrate. She has a log hide that allows her to completely curl up, and then another plant/log hide over her heat mat so she can hide there, too. I feel like it's a comfortable set up for a corn snake. I knew when I got her that it would be natural for her to feel some "adjustment anxiety" but now a couple of months have passed and she almost never leaves her log hide. It's almost as if she's depressed.

My other corn, much younger and smaller that I got in December took to his new vivarium in a month or less and is crawling all over the place, very inquisitive and active. I'm just a little concerned about how long it's taking Sierra to get comfortable in her new digs. She's eating OK, no apparent weight loss, but lacks the "I'm really curious" attitude my other corn and kingsnake regularly show in their vivs.

As I've been working graveyard shift, I often stop by my house in the middle of the night with hopes that she's more active then, but not seeing it then either. When I take her out and hold her she gets active and curious, and often doesn't want to go back into her viv....

Any advice, or am I overreacting?

Thanks,
Ethan
PS - how do you attach those cool pics of all your snakes to your profile signature?

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  01:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest maybe adding more shelter, such as branches, fake plants, and maybe a few more hides. They're more likely to come out if they feel safe, and for a corn this usually means lots of shelter! Some corns on the other hand, just dont really care for exploring. My Snow is always out at about 10pm - 12pm, and my regular corn prefers to find somewhere to curl and and sit!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  08:15:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what temps are you running your viv at? a cold snake is an inactive snake...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ESmith1999
Snake Mite

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my temperature is ok - I keep it at about 75-80 degrees (20-25 F) and she has access to a heating pad that's under about a third of her viv, BUT we did just finish up a typical Montana winter with temperatures averaging 30 degrees (0 F) outside. Perhaps my house wasn't warm enough..... I'll add more hides and see how she does as the weather grows warmer.

Thanks!

EThan
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  15:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing you meant 20-25c, is that the warm end temp? If so it's too cool which may be part of the problem. Ideally you want around 28c.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000