Vivarium Temperature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Davies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  17:59:14  Show Profile  Click to see Simon Davies's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm due to get my first ever corn snake tomorrow, the vivarium is all set up and I've had the heat mat/light on for last 48 hours to monitor the temps. Due to the fact it is extremely hot here at the moment I'm getting 32.8 c on hot side and 24.2 on the cool side. From my research I should be getting 30 and 21. Is that slight elevation going to be too much for my snake?

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  18:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is too high yes. Are you using a thermostat? How are you measuring the temps, what is your setup like? As much info as possible will help us help you.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Davies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  18:19:16  Show Profile  Click to see Simon Davies's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, should have given more info sorry, what a Noob lol

Heat is from a heat mat covering approx just over 1/3 of the 3ft vivarium. Temperature reading are from a pair of digital thermometers (EXO TERRA). One placed on top of the substrate behind hide on warm side and the other is tucked in back of the hide on the cool side. I have ordered a thermostat, but it won't be here for a few days so I may need to put the collection of the snake off for a bit .

My main concern is that with room temperature at around 22 here I'm not sure how I can achieve the right temperature on warm side without being too hot on the cool.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  18:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, sounds good. I would though have the warm end thermometer probe positioned so it's touching the heatmat and only have a thin layer of substrate over the mat. You can put the hide on the probe to help keep it in place. The reading will be more acurate from there. When you get your thermostat, put the probe from it in the same place. Some people hold the 2 probes together wth a rubber band. I would wait till it arrives before collectiong your snake. It's a pain having to wait a bit longe but will be safer for your snake. the mats get very, very hot without a stat.

The heatmat won't heat the viv, only whatever comes into contact with it so it wont effect your cool end temps at all. Don't worry too much about the cool end temps. If the weather is hot and the cool end gets warm the snake can always ool down in it's water bowl but it will be fine.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  19:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say mat/light, are you using a light at all, if so what type?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Simon Davies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Click to see Simon Davies's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a light yes, its a 26" 20W Reptiglo, doesn't give off any real heat, just there for visual effect really.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  21:47:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the warm end temp will sort itself out with a stat, and i wouldn't worry about the cool end temps really, providing the viv isn't near a radiator or in direct sunlight (at any time of the day as the sun moves round) there's not a lot you can do about it to lower it, snakie can always curl up in or around the water bowl to cool down if the emps aren't cool enough

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000