Opinions on heatmat size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  16:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know the rule is that the heatmat should cover a third of the viv.

I am trying to decide what size to get for the new viv stack. The internal dimensions of each viv are 35in x 20in.

A 17x11in mat doesnt cover at least a third, but if I get the 23x11in mat I would have to put it so that it covered over half of the back but none at the front (Does that make sense??). Ideally I could do with one 17x17in but can't seem to find any.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  18:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, dunno if people will say this is wrong or not but it's what I do and have never had any problems.

I use a heat strip not mat and they are not very wide. They only cover around 1/4 of the bottom of the larger rubs I use. I know they say it should be a 1/3 but the way I see it is as long as there is enough warm area in the tank for the snake to stretch out on or coil up on to get warm then I don't see the problem with it being a bit under 1/3.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  18:09:39  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My corn viv is that size an I use 17-11 positioned longest edge width ways in viv(left-right) without any issues

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  19:55:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
17 x 11 is plenty for a corn :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  21:38:35  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with eeji ^^
a 17" x 11" will be plenty hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  22:23:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys :D

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000