New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tic_Tac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  19:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My baby Snake loves my partner but as soon as I hold him he moves really quickly and tries to get away.

Is there anything I can do to get him to like me? Its starting to upset me as I really love him

I'm not nervouse around him so that can't be the problem

Thanks
Catherine

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  20:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perseverance is all you can really do, is there any hand lotions or the likes that you use that your partner doesnt. Young corns are generally fast and flighty so bear with it is all you can do.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  21:44:07  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats what baby snakes do, he will only get used to you in time.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:21:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i personally hate dealing with hatchies.......far to fiddly, fast and droppable!!
it's highly unlikely your snake doesn't like you though he might dislike your perfume/deodorant or handling technique. if your partner handles him first he might be getting tired, stressed or fretful by the time he's passed over to you, or if you handle him first he could be nervous, stressed or just very stimulated

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2011 :  22:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt worry , my others halfs favourite snake poop'd on me the other day , wonder if he was trying to tell me somethin lol ! use the same hand wash as each other is what i would do

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Tic_Tac
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  00:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. He's in a plastic faun at the moment which is not very cat safe so going out tomorrow to buy him a posh glass one with lots of hiding spots, maybe that'll buy me some love lol!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ailsa
Banned

United Kingdom
804 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  11:57:40  Show Profile  Click to see Ailsa's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My new snake is in a plastic faun just under 17 inches long, I have 2 cats and they have not shown the slightest interest in it at all, only just sniffing, even when i take dakota out they are not the slightest bit interested.

Dakota ~ Bloodred Corn ~ Amber & Chloe ~ Cats
Mind is changing on snakes I want now lol so am researching these to find out what would be best - Milk Snakes and Dwarf Boa possibly - Crawl Cay, Sonoran, Tarahumara or Vera Cruz and poss a Hoggie, African House and Rat snake. Also Trinket Snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  13:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your partner handle him more than you? Only asking as I'm the main carer of the snakes at my house and although they are fine being handled by my kids and family/friends they tend to be more settled with me than anyone else.
I put it down to me being the one that cleans them out,changes their water etc and I handle them the most too. They smell me a lot more than anyone else (I'm not stinky by the way lol!)

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2011 :  17:50:43  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could try the old sock trick. Put an old sock in your clothing for the day, next to your skin, then pop it in the snakes hide. The idea being that he will accept your smell as something safe and will, in turn, accept handling better. Worth a try....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  15:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

My new snake is in a plastic faun just under 17 inches long, I have 2 cats and they have not shown the slightest interest in it at all, only just sniffing, even when i take dakota out they are not the slightest bit interested.

my 2 dogs and cat havent shown any interest either, dont even think they know theres a snake there, more interested in sleeping, walks (the dogs) and food.

corn, anery, fred
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  15:34:20  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by esox

quote:
Originally posted by Ailsa

my 2 dogs and cat havent shown any interest either, dont even think they know theres a snake there, more interested in sleeping, walks (the dogs) and food.

I think Tic Tac's cats have already had the faun over though so she was going to get something more sturdy.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000