New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  15:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gizmo last feed was 2 weeks ago but still has a bulge as if he has been feed.

I went to feed him last week and noticed he still had a bulge from his previous feed. I did abit of searching and found that it had been known to happen but now its 2 weeks and the bulge is still there

His temps on the hot side are 30deg and 27deg. not sure in the cold end though. He seems to be spending alot of time in the cold end of his Faun. I think the cold end of the faun might be to cold but I need to get a thermometer to confirm this.

Im going to try feeding him again. but will have to see what happens.

Can anyone please help..

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  16:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There might be a blockage in his digestive systems so it might be wise to take him to the vets.

Hopefully it will be nothing, but it's always better to be safe rather than sorry.

Keep us posted x

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  21:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where abouts is the lump, in the stomach or further down towards the vent?

As its come up if he is always in the cold side then its likely your temperatures are causing issues. When a snake spends all his time in the cold end its usually a good indicator that your hot end is too hot. So standard question set number 1:

Do you have a thermostat?
DO you use digital thermometers?
Where (if yes to the above) are the probes?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  21:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lotabob, not sure where the stomach is on a snake, it is about a 3rd of his length from his head (I have got a pic where you can just see the bulge but cant upload it yet as i am at work)

Yes I have a stat and a thermometer, both probes are stuck together and are under the left edge of his hide (under the substrate) approx 2 inches from the left side of his faun. The heat mat is under the faun
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  23:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like its still sitting in his stomach, has he been for number 2's at all. It may still be an issue with temperature, if the hot end is too hot he will not go there and stay in the cold end, been cold slows digestion and if it slows too much they will regurge to avoid the mouse decaying inside them. Drop a degree off the hot end temp and see if he starts using the hot end, if he still avoids it like the plague drop another degree. I would also place your probes totally flat to the bottom of the faun slap bang in the middle of the hot end.

I wouldn't feed just yet either, hold off and see if the food thats already in there passes through, if its in the stomach and not going anywhere its possible you'll get a regurge so hold off for a few days and see what happens.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  00:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has been for 2 number 2s but they are smaller then what he normaly does,

I never attempted to feed him again in the end as I desided to wait and see what was said on here,

I guess handling him is not adviseable, Although I did handle him early and all he did was curl up in my hand (I got a couple of pictures of him whilst like that)

I will try that with the temp once i get home,

Thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  10:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry just reading this ... and you said if a snake spends all its time in th cold side then its too hot in the hot side...

I wrote on here befreo about my snake going to poop for a week and they said the temps were to low are 73 degree f so i put some stuff under the head matt to project the heat upwards, and now it is around 27 - 30 degrees c and she is hardly ever in her warm side, actually she basically spends most of her time in her cold cave, so now im realllllyy confused :s

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  10:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

sorry just reading this ... and you said if a snake spends all its time in th cold side then its too hot in the hot side...

I wrote on here befreo about my snake going to poop for a week and they said the temps were to low are 73 degree f so i put some stuff under the head matt to project the heat upwards, and now it is around 27 - 30 degrees c and she is hardly ever in her warm side, actually she basically spends most of her time in her cold cave, so now im realllllyy confused :s

Have you done as suggested and bought a digital thermometer?

I'm confused as to why you would need to do anything to the heatmat to get the right temps. I have many heat mats, lots off different makes and sizes and have never had a problem with them getting hot enough. If you are using a dial thermometer then yes there is a good chance the temps are way hotter than the reading suggests which is why your snake is staying away.

What exactly have you put under the heatmat??
Go to Top of Page

LynneM_212
Hatchling

United Kingdom
236 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  16:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea i did!! Its about 24 - 25 maybe a little lower than that at night and in the day the max it gets to is 30... around 27 - 28 ish!!!

I know alot of people dont have trouble with it, but befroe i was being told it was too low i there!!! i have a thin layer of bubble wrap underneath !!! but the temps have never risen about 30 ??? my room is a warm room in general but before it wasnt that case in her faun???

1 corn snake: Kchalice-Serendipity
2 dogs: Kane and chester
1 C0ckatill: Rolo
1 gold fish: chips
2 Cats : Max and Jess

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  16:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynneM_212

Yea i did!! Its about 24 - 25 maybe a little lower than that at night and in the day the max it gets to is 30... around 27 - 28 ish!!!

I know alot of people dont have trouble with it, but befroe i was being told it was too low i there!!! i have a thin layer of bubble wrap underneath !!! but the temps have never risen about 30 ??? my room is a warm room in general but before it wasnt that case in her faun???

Might be best to start another thread so we don't hijack this one.

Try and give as much detail about your setup. Have you got a thermostat? I don't understand how the temps are dropping at night if you are using one as they should stay within the normal range 24 hours a day.
Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right I have been slowly reducing his temps, At the min they 28 to 25 deg how low should I be willing to go?

I even thought about removing his hide in the cold side to see if he would then go into the hot?
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  18:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

you need to put a thermostat probe and digital thermo probe on top directly of heat mat as was advised to me by Louise, with thin scatteing of aspen over the heated side in the viv

you should turn the stat until your digital thermo reads about 28-29C // 85F

thermostat dials are not as accurate as u think, and as many of us finds out, hence the need for the thermometre so u can accurately measure it

as soon as u got that sorted, and correct temps, ur snakey shud spend almost equal amounts of time in each side

quote:
Originally posted by weasle1uk

Right I have been slowly reducing his temps, At the min they 28 to 25 deg how low should I be willing to go?

I even thought about removing his hide in the cold side to see if he would then go into the hot?

If you read the thread you will see the setup is correct already.

quote:
Originally posted by weasle1uk

Yes I have a stat and a thermometer, both probes are stuck together and are under the left edge of his hide (under the substrate) approx 2 inches from the left side of his faun. The heat mat is under the faun

Edited by - Invalid User on 05/03/2011 18:34:19
Go to Top of Page

weasle1uk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  15:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update: The bulge has gone and he has had a number 2, but still seems to be using the cold side all the time,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000