New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bellman
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Specifically with regard to their own limitations. We have a coconut hide, with a small hole in the top. At the moment, little Spectre (8 months old) can *juuuust* about squeeze his head through, if he wriggles and pushes hard enough. The rest of him is easy compared to the head.

My concern is, if he is growing fast, there will come a time when he will no longer fit through said hole. But will he realise this, or will he keep on trying and possible injure himself in the meantime?

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  17:56:56  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
u could enlargen the hole with a drill bit or something when hes not in there, just an idea for u
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  18:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None in the slightest, corns have to be the most dense snakes I've ever come across. Theyr'e very nosey but also very stupid which explains the curiosity of the hole.

There maybe an instance where his head can fit through when his body can't.. Just to be aware of that! haha, I had coconut hides, when Blaze was exploring it, when he got too big for it I just ended up seeing a nose, and he pushed quite hard..

If I were you, I'd get a small exo-terra cave, or a toilet roll tube. eliminates the risk of an injury.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  19:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had exactly the same problem with my little king.
I sewed 2 buttons together on either side of the hole when she was at a point where she could get stuck.
Meant I could keep the coconut hide in there and not have to worry about the snake getting stuck one day. Plus it's better to have the buttons sewed together from either side than it is to try to stick something else over the hole.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  19:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of mine was having his bath in a plastic tub the other day. I popped him in and as i went to put the lid on he shot through the small hole at the handle that clips the lid in place. The whole can only be 1" x 1/2" and this was a 5ft adult. He got about 6 inches of himself through while I furiously grasped tight so more of him did not go through. It was certainly a tight squeeze and had devil of a job getting back through. I can not believe how dense they are at times lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  19:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww poor dopey snakes. They do like getting stuck, Spot has gotten wedged in a 6mm diameter hole. Had to coax him back through. I have one of the coconuts but he should be able to be through the hole at the top cleanly and when he gets a bit bigger I will do the very good idea of the button trick (smarty pants).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000