Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

squiggy88
Snake Mite

40 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:20:58  Show Profile
im needing some advice on my new snake snowy i got her exactly a week ago and i think the reptile store may have sold me an ill snake :(

she wont eat she hasnt pooed she has flaking scales and her tail hasnt shed properly...there was a few in the store with not properly shed tails including hatchlings however temprement wise she is amazing

im quite worried becuse i really like her but i paid alot of money for her and now feel abit robbed and if they are getting away with not caring for thier snakes i have helped their business by buying from there

i dont no her age she is roughly 4 n a half foot long i wud say she is overweight quite bad

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal Python - Kahn
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:32:02  Show Profile
im no expert,

but the not eating, not pooping, flaking scales, sound smore like severe underweight (as come across this issue with an ill python at a petshop i kno of and dealing with the rspca for)

is her girth triangular, like a loaf of bread, or circle?

if triangle - underweight
if loaf of bread, weight is fine
if circle - overweight

also flaking scales could be a result of mites

in relation to the skin left on the tail, you can do one of two things

the first is bath her in warm water, they way i did it is i let Bruge rest on the side, while i gently but firmly had her tail in the water, and let her slide thro my hands, sme use towels, but this got the remaineder of

the 2nd way is to wait until she sheds next time, and see if it comes off then, but u have to be careful as a build of skin on the tail will cause restricted blood flow and in wrose cases tail drops off as a result of the build up.

you could see if you could nurse her back to full health, or take her back, have a refund, giving reasons why, and they would not be able to claim you did anythign wrong, as its not something that just hapens over night, and if they refuse to take her back or refund tell them u are going to the rspca

and in fact you should still report them if the facts are there that the snakes are not being looked after correctly, etc

quote:
Originally posted by squiggy88

im needing some advice on my new snake snowy i got her exactly a week ago and i think the reptile store may have sold me an ill snake :(

she wont eat she hasnt pooed she has flaking scales and her tail hasnt shed properly...there was a few in the store with not properly shed tails including hatchlings however temprement wise she is amazing

im quite worried becuse i really like her but i paid alot of money for her and now feel abit robbed and if they are getting away with not caring for thier snakes i have helped their business by buying from there

i dont no her age she is roughly 4 n a half foot long i wud say she is overweight quite bad

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:38:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
Flaking scales will be if she is over weight like you said, the weight of the snake causes the scales to fold and kindda flake but pictures will be needed of course.

Have you taken the shed off the tail off yet? The best you can do is just care for her as bets you can I'm afraid and warned people and maybe some authorities about the shop.

Hasn't pooped since when? Sometimes they can hang on for quite a long time!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

40 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:43:48  Show Profile
she is deffo circle and round and is deffo overweight possibly through lack of excersise dunno how long she was at reptile shop for or who owned her beforehand. i will try baithing her tail and see what happens and she hasntt pooped since last thursday not a sighn of a wee either :( her viv is like super clean its asif a snake dosent even live in there

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal Python - Kahn
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  21:53:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
Adult can take a while to poo sometimes so I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about, it also depend on when last fed and what it was.

Flaked scales could also be retained shed as a reliable source on chat just informed me :p but I have fund with my obese snake that it has some flaky scales because of the weight and the scale damage cause by it.

You know how much she weights? Any chance of a piccy? I suppose you could suggest some money back from the petshop because of her being over weight and the health issues it causes. I guess on the plus size since diet may be in order it won't cost you as much to feed :p

Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

40 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  22:03:27  Show Profile
im not that bothered about my money back cos shes a lovely snake im quite inexpirianced and shes lovely to me haha she just lays on me belly and watched tv haha i was more worried incase she was gonna need lots of vetinary treatment cos for obv reasons i dont see why i shud pay for their mistakes or the previouse owners mistake i dont wanna blame the reptile store intirly cos im not sure it was their doing all i do no is the hatchling i wanted a lavander had a bad shed and its tail was still on and she was still charging £100 for it and didnt seem to bothered that employees had not done their job right so i dunno what would you do?

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal Python - Kahn
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  22:07:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
I'd tell them about it and how you are conserned and how bad word of mouth spreads faster than good words. I see a lot of snake in petshops with tiny bits or retained shed, I guess maybe stress of being in a petshop can do that to them though and maybe because of how tight of time they are at petshops they may not notice all the time you see, but they will probably want to know. All you really can do and if they still arn't what yo would like I would buy your supplies from somewhere else :(

Go to Top of Page

squiggy88
Snake Mite

40 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  22:14:34  Show Profile
deffo wouldnt buy from there again jus stumbled along the store really as was looking for a lavender but then as i said she had retained tail skin so didnt buy her and seen snowy and fell in love but it was only upon getting her home and handleing her after about 3 days that i realised she had dodgey scales and a bad tail :( im so upset but glad i came across this forum or i wouldnt have a clue what to do

Amel Corn - Rocky
Ghost Corn - Snowy
GoldDust Corn - Sparkey
Royal Python - Kahn
Chihuahua - Harvey
Jack Russel - Trigger
Springer Spaniel - Kobi
Sports Horse - Barney
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  22:57:34  Show Profile
regardless of whether the shop was a major part or not, the end of the day, if they havent gone out the way to bring their health up or resolve such problems as skin on the tail, then they are just as responsible and should be reported to the rspca

if you buy a second hand or ex display laptop from pc world and its faulty, what happens (other than s**t customer service)??
they would be responsible for taking it in, and repairing it, and would be their responsibility, if pc world past concerns or costs onto the owner in this case manufacturer than thats affair

similar to above, if the shop whats to deal with the owner, thats his affair, but he is the one that sold the snake to you in that condition and failed to notice the ocndition it is in which prob means he hant even taken the time to handle them or thoroughly check them,

where i live various pet shops sell corn snakes at 45-60 bwteen the age of 2 - 6 month, regardless of its morph

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  23:11:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
Dude, the RSPCA don't give a damn, honestly. Unless the animals are almost dead and they will get publicity they ain't going to care and most of them know nothing bout reptiles. They rather take people to court who were in hospital and couldn't feed their rabbit. Some people also prefer to leave some shed in on in areas incase it may come off during the next shed as this won't stress snakes as much. Now honestly, I don't know if people do that for the tail but I do know people do it for eyes and other parts of the body.

PC world have crappy customer service anyway lul, your point is invalid :p

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  01:33:32  Show Profile
ok, you have had the snake a week, thats not long enough to judge its quirks, its digestive system, or anything really, unless its totally obvious, its not even long enough to get used to how the snake is and whether there are any problems.
Mites wont cause the scales to fold, i have been battling them for ages, and never had any folded scales on anything, ever. If the snake is overweight, then you need to go on a maintenence diet, excercise doesnt work the same way it does for us, and is a pointless suggestion.
did you find out what it was eating? when it was last fed? when it last shed? until you know those details, you cant make any judgment on it at all really, or not accurately anyway.
You need to weigh and measure the snake really, that way you know roughly how much over weight it is for a start.
Do you know for sure if its male of female? that can have an impact on healthy weight, whether if female if it has been in with a male or not.
You can talk to the rspca all you want, i can promise you that they will do nothing, if its not profitable, they aint interested, its a p*ss take on their part, but thats how it is.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  01:38:42  Show Profile
yeh you're right for 98% of the RSPCA, which is a shame because I do see it as a well needed organisation.

Whenever I dealt with the RSPCA for ngihbours neglecting their dogs, or releasing captive pets into the wild (like dumbo rats, and guinea pigs) they have always invetsigated thoroughly, prosecuted and came back to me with the outcome

Admittedly I agree it's rare they do anything, but I personally would try because, if they don't help then it's on their head, and if it's do then the snakes and any other animals will benefit

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards
You can talk to the rspca all you want, i can promise you that they will do nothing, if its not profitable, they aint interested, its a p*ss take on their part, but thats how it is.

Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  01:44:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

yeh you're right for 98% of the RSPCA......<snip>.......Admittedly I agree it's rare they do anything, but I personally would try because, if they don't help then it's on their head, and if it's do then the snakes and any other animals will benefit

So admittedly where you come from it's rare they do anything, so that means they're happy with how animals are being kept.
Where I come from we call that being an irritating plank who has nothing better to do than report people for the sheer hell of it.

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  01:46:00  Show Profile
quote:

yeh you're right for 98% of the RSPCA, which is a shame because I do see it as a well needed organisation.

Whenever I dealt with the RSPCA for ngihbours neglecting their dogs, or releasing captive pets into the wild (like dumbo rats, and guinea pigs) they have always invetsigated thoroughly, prosecuted and came back to me with the outcome

Admittedly I agree it's rare they do anything, but I personally would try because, if they don't help then it's on their head, and if it's do then the snakes and any other animals will benefit

quote:

So you openly admit to snitching on your neighbours for something you dont know the full story about?
I assume you had the decency to allow your neighbours to explain what may have been a totally innocent situation???
i have a neighbour like you, i had the rspca round a while back, all becuase of someone who had NO IDEA what was going on, the rspca officer came in, had a cup of tea, and learnt something new.
I actually dont like you, its people like you that waste valuable time and resources, because they 'think' they are doing the right thing.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  01:58:53  Show Profile
Mike, I wish you stop assuming things about me? and how is it snitching if its preventing cruelty and saving an animal(s) life????

Secondly, I knew the circumstances,

a) they were always out all the time trying to score drugs and booze
b) they use to leave it chained up outside on a drainpipe all through some winter nights in snow and rain
c) the coat was appalling, fleas all over it, and also ulcers and other sores on various parts of body
d) the postman made several comments about a smell he use to get everytime he posted letters their which was from the stench of all the **** and **** that was not cleaned up
e) the dog was severly underwight, you could see its bones and count the ribs,
f) had an eye infection also

now there is 6 reasons - sorry correction 6 FACTS as to what went on,
doesnt matter what a persons circumstance is, if they cannot look after an animal or pet, then they shouldnt have one, and before anyone makes the suggestion about people having kids, i also agree that people who cant look after a child should not have them either.

and Mike, I am so glad you are very narrow minded in judging a book by its cover, and that shows exactly what type of person you are!

and btw how was it a waste of time of valuable resources and time, when the owner was prosecuted, and banned from animals for life and handed a suspended custodial sentence, the dog being taken away, and looked after properly that it made a full recovery and now living somewhere else with great people who look after it?!

Again you have assumed that I did not have any information, have you ever heard the phrase assumptions are the mother of all mess ups??!!!

clearly not

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you openly admit to snitching on your neighbours for something you dont know the full story about?
I assume you had the decency to allow your neighbours to explain what may have been a totally innocent situation???
i have a neighbour like you, i had the rspca round a while back, all becuase of someone who had NO IDEA what was going on, the rspca officer came in, had a cup of tea, and learnt something new.
I actually dont like you, its people like you that waste valuable time and resources, because they 'think' they are doing the right thing.

mode edit for language

Edited by - gmac on 25/02/2011 02:04:08
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:03:15  Show Profile
pehaps you would prefer to state the facts then, instead of insinuating that its neighbours, not A neighbour. i havent drawn my conclusion just from this thread, i have taken into account the rest of your drivel too.
Yes i have heard the phrase, with regards to you, it doesnt apply.

Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:03:29  Show Profile
quote:

a) they were always out all the time trying to score drugs and booze
b) they use to leave it chained up outside on a drainpipe all through some winter nights in snow and rain
c) the coat was appalling, fleas all over it, and also ulcers and other sores on various parts of body
d) the postman made several comments about a smell he use to get everytime he posted letters their which was from the stench of all the **** and **** that was not cleaned up
e) the dog was severly underwight, you could see its bones and count the ribs,
f) had an eye infection also...........

But could it be milked???

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:11:52  Show Profile
Mike,

you didnt ask for facts, and I was just making a comment,

and it is neighbours as I have seen another neighbour releasing their pet dumbo rat and guinea pigs in the wild which is an offence,

and pardon me for replying to various posts

of you dont like my "drivel" then dont read it or reply to it, simple really, i dont have problems with people or their posts, but yet you seem to have an attitude thinking you have the answer for everything, being very critical of people, assuming things, and just have a general bad attitude,

sometimes people forgot to include some details, or sometimes they panick and worry and need reassurance, not everyone can be a know-it-all like some!!!

gilly - what do u mean could it be milked?
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:15:08  Show Profile
quote:

Mike,

and it is neighbours as I have seen another neighbour releasing their pet dumbo rat and guinea pigs in the wild which is an offence,

of you dont like my "drivel" then dont read it or reply to it, simple really, i dont have problems with people or their posts, but yet you seem to have an attitude thinking you have the answer for everything, being very critical of people, assuming things, and just have a general bad attitude,

sometimes people forgot to include some details, or sometimes they panick and worry and need reassurance, not everyone can be a know-it-all like some!!!

Am more concerned that people will beleive what your saying, thats why i reply to you. I can assure you i know a hell of a lot more than you, and if you are wrong, you can count on me telling you.
If you dont like my attitude, stop talking rubbish and i wll stop correcting you, because thats all my attitude is, lack of tolerance for people who talk rubbish.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:25:39  Show Profile
so how am i talking rubbish when I just outlined the facts to you about my neighbours and the RSPCA??!!!! and therefore you cannot correct me on that!!!

you may know a lot more about corn snakes or other reptiles than me? big deal, what do you want? a meadl?!!

and in my intial reply to quiggy symptoms I stated, im no expert , and was going by what I have read from several websites

I then went on about contacting the RSPCA as Squiggy mentioned a few are like it in the store ,

so i gave my opinion on some action he may wish to take of his own free will! its not like i just held a gun to his head is it?!!!

Sounds like its only your opnion counts, and no others matter, perhaps I should worry about people believing you? an arrogant, pompus stuckup biggot,

for someone who knows a lot more than me in reptiles you sure do lack people and social skills!!! not to mention you sound like you have anger management issues

a reply is not needed from you

quote:

quote:

Mike,

Am more concerned that people will beleive what your saying, thats why i reply to you. I can assure you i know a hell of a lot more than you, and if you are wrong, you can count on me telling you.
If you dont like my attitude, stop talking rubbish and i wll stop correcting you, because thats all my attitude is, lack of tolerance for people who talk rubbish.

Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  02:31:20  Show Profile
Pick your weapons here: http://www.handbag.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000