New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It always fascinate me when people say that an adult corn needs to have a minimum viv size of 3ft. Alot of people keep adult corns in RUBS and most I believe would use a 64 litre one. The internal dimensions of this is 60.5cm x 37cm x 28cm high (quite abit smaller than the external dimensions) which I would think is the same as a 2ft viv, infact I think alot of 2ft vivs would be higher. So why always say a 3ft? NO arguments please I am just wondering.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  13:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From what I know, most people that use rubs are generally breeders or people with a massive amount of snakes so finding space becomes an issue.
For everyone else it's a visual stimuli for the owner more than anything. What looks better??? A couple of lovely decorated and attractive looking vivs, or a couple plastic boxes??

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  16:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see what you mean with regards to the appearance but I'm wondering size, about the recommendations of a 3ft viv, why do people not say you can keep an adult corn in a 2ft x 18inch viv, the appearance would be the same as a 3ft just smaller. So why do no one say a 2ft viv will be fine for an adult corn?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  16:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i use a 3x2.5x18 viv for my corns and they enjoy it but hardly use the space, so i think ur right red, u probably could go smaller but, as kehhlyr says, a lot of its about looks and the bigger the viv, the more possibilites for features/layouts (dependent of course on the size of the snake!)

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  17:47:20  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe some of the RUBs are around the 3ft mark, but I could be wrong there, and if so, it does raise questions, I guess, on whether a 2ft viv is possible. I mean, mine are all still young, and they hardly move about at all, the lazy sproglets, but Corns are meant to become LESS active as they age, so I am interested in hearing opinions on this, as to whether a 2ft would be feasible, as that is what I have currently for two of mine.

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i see what you mean, but i think its that corns average at 4ft, so a 3ftx1ft is the perfect length for them. i keep my corn in a 4ft viv, the lx48 vivexotic, this may be slighlty big, but i he uses all the space and is always out and about climbing the logs i have in their

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have wondered about the same thing on occasion. However, my opinion is that my snakes are ultimately a part of my family and I wouldn't want to shut them up in a plastic box where I can hardly see them. Also, I have 1 corn that is 4.5ft long, 1 that would be over 4ft if he had a full tail, and 1 that will be over 4ft in a few months and I wouldn't like to see them cramped up in a viv that is smaller. I like them to have as much exercise and space as they want to use. Izzy could probably manage in a smaller viv as he is very rarely out but then the trip between hides gives him a bit of exercise to tone up his flabby tum when I can't get him out.
Again, this is just my opinion.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:33:26  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I knwo for a fact my 5ft+ guy would not be happy in a 2ft x 1ft RUB/Viv. Well I say happy but you know what I mean... he uses all the space for his 4ft viv. However, my 3ft 8 girl would be fine in a 2ft x 1ft housing. All she needs is her snake cave XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  17:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think my carpet would be happy in a 2x1 lol! she squeezed through the smallest gap yesterday!! i was terrified, trying to find an emergency vet and she just wiggled back out!! yep she'd be good in a 2x1, she never moves!! lol

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conventional wisdom suggests a vivarium where length plus depth is approximately the same length as the snake.

So 3' by 1' is fine for a 4' Corn

How the size of an adult Corn came to be 'generally' regarded as 4' I struggle to understand.

My girl is well over 5' and of similar size to adults I view at reptile centres and on the internet.

I use a 4' Vivarium for my adult corn
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm planning 4 foot for Spot when he is older.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  08:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2 adults are in 3ft vivs and the two 6 month olds are in 2 ft vivs and will move into 3ft vivs when older. If I posted that I was keeping my adults in 2ft vivs I would get shouted at I think for the vivs being too small. However I wonder if the response would be different if I posted that I kept them in 64 litre RUBS?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000