Viv height for corn snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

volly
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  08:38:55  Show Profile  Visit volly's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Been into reptiles for years now and been building vivs for about the past 18-24months.

A customer has emailed me this morning ask for a stack of 8 vivs - each being 4.5ft wide x 2ft deep x 7 inches high ?????

Surely to god 7 inches isn't high enough to allow corns enough room to live comfortably for life - is it? I've done them at 12 inches high before and thought that was probably about the limit that I'd be prepared drop to.

I know they are not really classed as arboreal snakes but whenever I've kept them in the past, they have always made full use of the 2ft / 2.5ft high vivs that I have put them in.

Any thoughts on this please?

I know it's the customer's own choice at the end of the day - just not sure I'd be happy doing the job if I know that it's not going to be suitable for the prupose to which it's intended.
Last thing I want to do is help somebody keep animals in the wrong conditions.

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Volly

Custom reptile vivariums, viv stacks and rub racks built to order - www.wirralvivz.com

danny28490
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  09:53:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7 inches :-O no expert but 7 inches is not enough who'd want to keep snakes like that, it wouldn't look good and probably wouldn't be good for the snake either and at the end of the day it should be the snakes health and well being. being put above being able to stack 8 snakes into such a small space.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  10:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7 inches!! That seems incredibly low in height.
My corns are only small and they love stretching out to the top of the glass which itself is 13 inches.
Maybe they've made a typing error?

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  10:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont some people keep corns in RUBs though?
They cant be more than 7 inches high
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  11:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if the vivs were smaller, say 2ft long, 1ft deep and 7 high then I'd say that'd be ok as it's not much different in size to a 50L rub.
But for vivs that size I'd be curious as to what the hell is going into them, the depth combined with the height of them will make cleaning a pig. Also, with those measurements the stack wouldn't be much difference in height to width would it???

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000