Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  21:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you lotabob for the comments. Ah you are right, just so that you know, there is sellertape over both that hole and the opposing holes at the other end of the viv, however I will replace it with paper balls.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats OK as long as its blocked and non of the sticky side can contact snake skin, they don't mix well. Where did you get that bit of wood, I've been looking but cant find anything that stands so well, I'm setting up something similar at the moment for a Boa and its great to see what people are doing with the space.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yeah, none of the sticky side is touchable. The log I was able to get from my local pet shop, where I got Monty in fact. In Chatham, Kent, its called Pet Aqua Spectacular. Its designed for vivariums, so its been propperally, steralised and treated to be harmless, not taken from outside and just put in the viv. What type of foilage do you think would be best, I mean real or fake? Wow, you have a Boa, thats really cool. It would be great to own one, or a Royal Python perhaps, incredible and very interesting snakes.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't picked the Boa up yet, I am going away for a few days and will pick it up the day I get back. My Royal is interesting alright, I've never known such a fussy and delicate animal in my life. I wouldn't change him but he is a very shy little fella.

I would go for fake foliage, but I'm lazy and think it would be a nightmare to keep alive while monitoring humidity etc. Plus when your snake decides to take a dump on your real plants you cant just tie it up in a pillow case and throw it in the washing machine. I'll take a pic of my setup for you and post it when I get a second.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake corner

Casa de Boa

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah excellent, it must be so cool to be able to own larger snakes like that, I am a student at the mo so cannot really own anything bigger than a young corn because I could not keep a larger viv and of course would not want to limit a larger snake because of a small viv. Wow a Royal too, I have heard that they are known as Ball pythons too, because when they become nervous or scared they roll into a ball, is that true? I am not suggesting that your Royal would have any reason to be nervous or scared but I was just wondering if you have ever seen it happen?

OK, thats a cool point, fake it is, so it can be washed with out any trouble, but I see what you mean about managing that on top of a snake in a viv too.

If you could post a couple of pictures that would be kind of you, it would be cool to see your setup too.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  22:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah they ball up when scared, Duke doesn't do it as much now but when i first got him I had no idea he was 3 foot long because he was about the size of a softball. They tuck their head right into the middle. Its really cute when they start to uncoil they poke their nose out to check the coast is clear.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  23:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your setup, two vivs on top of each other plus the sealable boxs too, it looks really cool, neet and tidy but really interesting at the same time. What species of snake do you have at the moment?

I do have a couple of questions though, as I said, I have fed him today but he has burrowed at the cool end rather than going in the warm hide, is that OK or should I be concerned? Is there anything else I could do to improve the viv do you think?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  23:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a corn snake and a royal, thats it at the moment. I have a Hogg island Boa coming end of March and unconfirmed but a Brazilian Rainbow Boa may be on the cards too.

They know what they are doing, they find a nice spot to settle down and basically shut down while they digest their meal. You can watch your snake over the next week and if he never goes into the hot end its probably too hot so drop down a degree and watch again and once you get him moving back and forth then you have it perfect.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  23:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be fine for a little while but will eventually need to upgrade into a larger enclosure but as each snake grows at different rates then I could be 2 months, it could be 6 or more.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  13:08:12  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is looking great Chris. Monty is gorgeous and looks like he is enjoying himself. I wouldn't worry about him being in the cool end. Follow what lotabob says and he will be fine.
On tank size I would agree with lotabob again. Dependant on growth you should have a few months before he needs one. That should give you chance to save up or keep an eye out for bargin on ebay lol
The problem then is that you will have an empty faun and we don't like empty fauns ;D

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  13:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

Just looking at this picture, and also going by peoples comments on viv sizes

just curious to everyone, wouldnt Chris need to get a bigger viv soon as looking at this picture it can be seen quite easily that his body length is 1 length and pretty much 1 width of his current viv

quote:
Originally posted by OutlandishChris

I would say he will be fine for a good while yet.

My first corn was 2ft long when I got him and 6 months later he is still in a large faunarium having gained weight but only grown a couple of inches. Most of the time when he is coiled up in a hide he still looks lost in it!

I do have a larger rub ready and waiting for him but right now he seems fine so I am sure Chris's snake will be ok for a while yet.
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  21:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening everybody, thank you for the kind comments but also for your help and advice that has gotten me to this stage, thank you. At the mo I am in rented accomodation so dont have the space for a larger viv, however I finish in a couple of months time, hopefully enough for Monty to grow a bit more and then I will buy a new 3/4 foot viv and all new suitable equipment and hides and things. Like you say though kdlang, the problem then become an empty faun, but what I would like to do is home a Milk or King snake in there, so that I can have a second snake but also make best use of redundant equipment. I will deffinatley try the technique suggested by lotabob and drop the temp by a degree until Monty is happier to sleep in the warm hide, hopefully.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000