disinfecting a rub that has been used,.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

esox
Egg

84 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  17:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got a spare rub which im thinking of putting a new hatchie in, are the disenfectant sprays ok, or do they need to be soaked in watered down bleaching products, like miltons? that goes for used hides and water bowl too.

cheers.

corn, anery, fred

tehbunneh
Hatchling

United Kingdom
390 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  18:13:29  Show Profile  Visit tehbunneh's Homepage  Send tehbunneh an AOL message  Click to see tehbunneh's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I disinfect mine with a disinfectant spray that has been diluted down, and then I re-rinse and dry thoroughly afterward, and that is for my two that are still in RUBs. You can get reptile safe disinfectant that doesn't need to be rinsed off, but its so expensive, I do it this way, and it doesn't leave a smell, and doesn't seem to affect the snakes, so I don't think it is a problem. Other people may suggest a 10% bleach solution, and a bake in a 100C oven for a few hours for hides and the like.

EMZ - WORCESTER, UK

3.2.0 Corn Snakes
Conan (CB09 Carolina); Ripley (CB09 Ghost); Widget (CB09 Hypo Pewter); Dexter (CB10 Granite); Boa'tata (CB10 Bloodred)
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty
Taiki (CB11)
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
Tanis (CB10)
0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa
Winston (CB??)
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  19:02:58  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
use a dilute solution or milton fluid, ppl use too,

but make sure which ever you use, rinse well

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:26:54  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
F10 is a reptile safe, veterinary grade disinfectant that you don't need to rinse off. You can buy the 100ml concentrate for under a tenner (inc delivery) on eBay which may sound expensive but you only add 1-2ml of it to a 500ml spray bottle full of water (the same size as the ones you see in pet shops for £4).

When diluted it only has a very slight scent that I find quite pleasant, unlike bleach or vinegar.

I use it all the time for cleaning out all of my animals (it's fantastic for cleaning the hedgehog's wheels that are always in a disgusting state every morning) and easily go through a full spray bottle a week. I started using my present bottle of F10 concentrate over 6mths ago and it's still more than half full.

I know I sound like an advert for the stuff, but I just think it's great.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  20:38:28  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use F10 too. Highly recommend it!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Callazagy
Yearling

United Kingdom
506 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  22:00:26  Show Profile  Click to see Callazagy's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I started using F10 the other week, got a 100ml bottle for about £6, still havnt used a 500ml spray bottle of the diluted solution yet after cleaning 2 gecko tanks, snake and clean water bowls everyday, I can see a 100ml bottle lasting most of the year.

* 2.1 Corn Snakes (Arthas - Normal, Tilion - Anery Lav, Yavanna - Stripe) * 1.1 Cape House Snake (Jenson & Ginetta) * 1.0 Carpet Python (Irian Jaya Jag - Grantly) *
* 1.0 Amazon Tree Boa (Omen) * 1.1.2 Crested Geckos (Brindle, Harley, Noumea & Farino) * 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos (Pazuzu & Vesper) *
* 0.0.1 Mexican Red Leg Tarantula (Aragog) * 1.1 Leopard Geckos (Kara & Darwin) * 1.0 Dog (Labrador - Barney) * 1.0 Cat (Casper) *
* 1.0 Western Hognose (Hamilton) * 1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk Snake (Tweek) * 0.0.2 Common Musk Turtles (Erin & Ira) *
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  22:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put a pan of boiling water in it, and put some disinfectant it, and shut the lid. (I did this prior to a further clean as I got given a RUB for free, that had been kept in a garage, to kill any bugs that may be hiding in it.

Then it was in with the warm water and a disinfectant wipe down, and a hose down rinse!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000