Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  18:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 general questions, 1 regarding the behaviour of my corn snake and the second about possibly introducing a second corn snake into the vavarium (I have just noticed numerous replies to housing multiple corns).

1) I have recently noticed (over the last three weeks or so) that Monty has only been sleeping in his cool hide even after feeding. I will give some additional to help of course. The vavarium is approximatley 20 inchs by a foot. It heated by a heat matt under the left hand side that stops half way under the vavarium. The substaight is aspen bedding and is a little over an inch thick. There is two hides in there, one at the warm end and one at the cold, with a water bowl in the cold end too, plus a climbing log that stretches from end to end.

2) I would like to introduce a second corn snake into the vavarium. The second snake is a little bit of a larger and longer snake but is the same age, do you think this is wise? The second snake is the same morph too, amelanistic.

Any advice that you could offer would be very kind and much appreciated.

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  18:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a thermostat attached to the heat mat? If not it's probably getting far too hot and the snake is staying in the cool end? What are the temps of the cool and warm end? Are you monitoring them with a digital thermometer?

Use the search function to find posts on co-habbiting corns as I don't want to start a debate again lol.

I would never ever co hab my snakes :)

Edited by - Invalid User on 22/02/2011 18:42:22
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  18:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) There are so many things that could influence a snakes preference in hides from the obvious such as the hide being too hot for him, to the really inconspicuous such as light reflecting off of something and shining into the hide. Make sure the temperature of the mat and the substrate is appropriate (28*C-ish). If the substrate is thick over the mat, the mat itself will be much hotter than the surface temperature. If you could take a few photos of the viv that would help much more than a description.

2) No no no no no no...and so on. Just a bad idea, completely forget about it. If you want to do more reading on co-habiting there is a thread on this forum dedicated to the topic.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  18:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with both replies, they are both right.
I won't comment on co habbing, its best that way!

Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  19:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im really sorry guys, but the forum is not letting me read your replies for some reason, also when I try to view my profile its says that there a problem, I must be logged in to view a members profile, but I am logged in?
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  19:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah thats fantastic, thank you for your help guys, I will try to provide pictures for you as soon as possible. The forum is not letting me see your replies but only after I had entered by previous one.
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys, I have managed to take a couple of snap shots of my viv but I am not sure how to upload them into this responce, I have never used a forum before so I am unsure. I have tried reading the forum code but I am not sure what the images 'address' is that it says I have to enclose. Sorry to be such a pain.

In regards to the temperatures, I do have thermometres within the viv however I find that because of the smallness of the tank, they read very simillarly. However I have measured the temp of the warm end and it is in the mid to high 30Cs and the cold end temp is approximaltey 26C.

In regards to housing two corn snakes together I deffinatley understand what you are saying and have thus read the topic specifically concerning the multiple occupants. I am going to take your advice and not house two together. Additionally however, both of the snakes are male, and as said the same age and simillarly sized. Also I would have of course fed them seperatly but I have seen them being handled together and living together before. The shop from which I bought Monty, claimed that they would be happy together, although of course advised against feeding together but also a bigger viv. Ultimatley, I thought that it would be possible as I wanted to give the other snake a new home as it had been returned to the shop previously, thats all.

Thanks again for you help and advice because I know that you know what you are talking about, especially after all of the excellent advice you have given to other forum members.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a read of this will help you post your photos http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14057

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OutlandishChris

In regards to the temperatures, I do have thermometres within the viv however I find that because of the smallness of the tank, they read very simillarly. However I have measured the temp of the warm end and it is in the mid to high 30Cs and the cold end temp is approximaltey 26C.

That is very warm for a corn snake. My Python viv has lower hot end temps.

Ideally 28-30 in the hot end and then the c old end will just be room temp or slightly above. 19-21.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi again. I'm guessing you don't have a thermostat then? Mid to high 30's is way too hot. The warm end ideally should be around 28-30c

Are they digital thermometers? If not get a couple as they have probes attached and these can be placed at each ane, no matter how small the tank is they will give you a correct reading for ech end.

Also if you have not got one you must get a thermostat asap as that mat is way too hot. Other members have been adviced to turn off the heat mat until they get a thermostat and place the tank in a warm room in the house and do not feed the snake until the heat mat is back on and connected to a stat.
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh right, I understand lotabob, thank you for your advice for the suitable temperatures. I must appologise if I have given the wrong impression, I do take very good care of my corn snake, I look after him very well, I would never mean to hurt him. I have found it difficult to maintain temperatures in the viv, primarily I think due to the size of it, I will try even harder in future.

Thank you too gmac for the link to posting links on the forum, that is good of you to provide it for me.

I will put the pictures up in half an hour, just going to have something to eat.
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Louise32, I have only just seen your post after I posted mine. No, you are correct I dont have one with probes Im afraid, primarily because I was advised that I would not need one/two for the type of mat that I am using. The ones that I have use needles to indicate the temperature. I will get a thermostat quickly because as I said above I would never knowingly do anything wrong.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only reason you could be having problems regulating temperature is either lack of or incorrect installation of a thermostat.

As Louise says if you dont have one you MUST turn off your mat put the setup in the hottest roon in the house, crank up the heating and get a stat. If not then check your probes, they should be fixed to the mat.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 22/02/2011 20:35:14
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  20:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, switch off the mat, dont feed or handle until you have a stat installed. You'll thank us when your temps are spot on.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  21:02:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh right, I understand lotabob, thank you for your advice for the suitable temperatures. I must appologise if I have given the wrong impression, I do take very good care of my corn snake, I look after him very well, I would never mean to hurt him. I have found it difficult to maintain temperatures in the viv, primarily I think due to the size of it, I will try even harder in future.

Thank you too gmac for the link to posting links on the forum, that is good of you to provide it for me.

I will put the pictures up in half an hour, just going to have something to eat.

Hi Chris. No-one on here believes you would intentionally hurt your snake so please don't worry. Shops often don't tell owners that digital thermometers and thermostats are essential pieces of kit but they are. Follow the advice and get some and I'm sure your snakie will be fine. But please turn your heatmat off until you have got a thermostat. If your dial thermometer is reading high 30's then there is a good chance it could be higher than that and your snake could get burned.

Another point I would like to say is that all my temps range from 27-29oC measured using a digital thermometer with probe on the mat near or under the hide and I often find my snakes in the cool end even after eating. I see evidence of them moving between the two tho so I am happy that they are happy.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  21:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello kdlang, thank you for your kind words of support and advice. I shall turn it off now and get a thermostat as quickly as I can. Thank you for also reassuring me with the behaviour of your own snakes, but also I deffinatley aggree with your phrase 'so I am happy that they are happy'

Here are a couple of photos of my viv. The heat mat, which is now off, is under the left hand side and Monty is under the right hide. (I must appologise for the poor quality of the photos as my camera is not the best)

I do have another question, how think should the aspen bedding me when using a heat mat like this?

Thanks again for your help kdlang and indeed everyone for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  21:23:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In mine I have the aspen where the heatmat is really thin. pretty much just sprinkled over so its just covered. then as it get towards the cool end i have a nice deep layer, similar to what it looks like you have, so they can tunnel about at will. Quite often i find they move the aspen out of the way over the heatmat anyway. Alice in particularly at the moment appears to prefer to sleep directly on his heatmat at the front of the viv. but i think this is down to him being horny and constantly on the lookout for a girlfriend

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  21:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the thermometer you have is only reading air temperature, if it is reading high 30's the mat must be burning up a storm and a half as mats have little to no effect on air temps. You've done the right thing switching it off. As a precaution you need to check your snakes belly for any signs of a burn, I have tested a mat just like the one you have without a stat and it hit 43 degrees before I called off the experiment for fear of it melting.

Other than the stat/thermometer issue your setup looks perfect for a hatchie. One point to consider is I'm sure he would appreciate some foliage while your on a spending spree, they love hiding and climbing through.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  22:09:03  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is a great thread here about setting up a faun which may help when you get your thermostat and thermometers
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Another way to do it is to put the thermostat probe on the heatmat under the faun and the thermometer probe in the faun on the base in the same place where the thermostat probe is. Then you set the thermostat according to the reading on the thermometer. so you may have the thermostat at say 31oC but the thermometer is reading 28. That means you only have to worry about getting one probe into the faun.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  22:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is brilliant, I cannot thank yourselves enough for the help. I have taken it all onboard and will make all the changes based on your advice from aspen thickness and foilage to acquiring a kick ass thermostat ASAP. All I want is for snakie to be happy and I know that thanks to your excellent advice, he will be.

Edited by - OutlandishChris on 22/02/2011 22:18:48
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  22:25:09  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your more than welcome Chris. Just wait, it won't be long til you are adding to your collection and will be helping other people with their snakes. The best thing about this forum is the people. I got my first corn Alice just over a year ago and new relatively nothing about them. When I agreed to rehome him I did an internet search and found this forum and it's the best thing I ever did. When Alice arrived he was in a small plastic fishtank, 1 hide, waterbowl, substrate and heatmat. no thermostat and no thermometer at all. Following the advice I got on here I got him correctly set up and he is thriving. This site has the friendliest bunch of people I have ever come across on a forum

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000