Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  23:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are absollutley right kdlang, the combination of yourselves as members and this web site is great, unlimited knowledge, and such friendly and supporting people you are too. Thanks again. I do have another question though, hopefully the equipment will arrive on Thursday, but when should I feed him next, because coincidentally, today I was going to move him up to fuzzies?

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  23:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont feed him until the mat is set up with the stat and the temps are correct.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  23:24:23  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As Louise says I would leave it until you have had it up and running for a few days and everything is working ok. At the moment he has no heat to help him digest. If you feed him as soon as the heatmat is turn back on and you have any problems, you could cause him stress and he could regurge. He will be fine to be a bit late with his dinner.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  15:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there guys, I thought that I should pop on to let you know how things are now going with the new equipment. I was able to get a Habistat: Pulse Proportional Thermostat and a digital, dual probe thermometre very quickly. I installed them into the viv last night. The new temperatures are 19/21.5C at the cool end and 27.5/29.5C at the warm end. I have also rearranged the layout of the viv and dramatically thinned the substraight at the warm end. I think that things have improved already, he is still sleeping in the cool hide but seems more happy to move around at the warm end on the warm substraight. Is there anything else I could do to encourage him to sleep in the warm hide? I could upload some more pictures if you would like to see the improvements?
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  15:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good and photos always help.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  16:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

Thermostat does need to be used, because you'll find that the heat mat will warp the plastic, which means way to hot

here are two links for two commonly used

http://www.eurorep.net/habistat/temp.htm

and

http://www.eurorep.net/habistat/pulse.htm

if you buy them from somewhere like Ebay or Amazon, make sure they are new and carry a warranty just as a precuation.

the way i set mine up is, i got thermometre probe and thermostat prob in same place, on top of a thin layer of aspen where the "warm" hide is, which means the aspen and heat mat will be very similar in temperature
having the prob direct on the heat mat would mean the aspen may not warm up enough
, and having the aspen to thick and probs on top would mean heat mat be too hot.

You need to stop advising people to place the probes ontop of the aspen! The probes must be on top of the heat mat or touching the bottom of the faun if the heatmat is underneath! The snake can and will push away the aspen to lie directly over the heatmat so you must measyre the temps here at the hottest point.

A probe ontop of even a thin layer of aspen can read quite a few degrees cooler than the area the snake can get too.
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  17:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is how i set mine up upon advise of someone who has 30 years experience, and he has no issues with his corns and neither any problems with his adults or newly hatches, juveniles etc

not all corn snakes bury themselves under the aspen onto the heat mat directly,

my anery that passed to mate never, did, and neither does Bruge

so this is a matter of opinion and personality of a corn snake

some corn snakes tend o bury themselves in the aspen more than others and some dont at all
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  18:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately CM, 30 is just a number, and means nothing when compared to a logical explanation in this case supplied by Louise. An inch of aspen separating your mat from your temp and stat probes could cause temperatures potentially damaging to your snake.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  18:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Unfortunately CM, 30 is just a number, and means nothing when compared to a logical explanation in this case supplied by Louise. An inch of aspen separating your mat from your temp and stat probes could cause temperatures potentially damaging to your snake.

Agreed. Separating the probes is a bad idea, and putting them anwhere away from the heatmat itself, is even worse.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:47:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The probes must be on the bottom of the faun above where the heatmat is, with a thin layer of aspen over the top. Actually my aspen doesn't even cover the probes as it's not thick enough.If the probes are even a little bit off the heatmat my thermometer can read 4oC below what the heatmat is at.

Chris, your set up is sounding great. The fact that your corn is seeming happier is testament to the improvements you have made. Don't worry about trying to get him to use his warm hide more often, it's possible he is using it at night when you are in bed and the house is colder. We would love to see pics if you are able to as we can never get enough of pics of set-ups or corns. A bit addicted we are lol :)

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  21:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have now put mine directly on the heat mat (in wooden viv) so thankyou for the advice, sometimes asome advice isnt always right, meaning the advice i got about putting it on the aspen

Edited by - CentricMalteser on 25/02/2011 21:25:24
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  03:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just to give an example again of how hot mats can get without stats:

The temp on that image in in degrees celcius, it was reading variations of 10 degrees on different parts of the mat at the same time where it was overheating more in some places than others.
That mat is still in use and keeps a lovely 31c nearly all the time, thanks only to a stat.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  14:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God you could have fried an egg on that, few bits of bacon and dont forget the black pudding.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  15:27:39  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
beforwe anyone ses anything - it was just an experiment i done during cleaning and after reading this thread,after reading what cm had argued and while i was cleaning ambers faun, i put the thermometer probe directly on an inch of aspen and another on the heatmat, the reading were as follows:
on top of aspen: 25.5c
on top of the mat: 28.2c
so yh cm there completely different readings at exactly the same time so as we all already know louise was right, your probes should be either on the bottom of the faun or on top of the mat.

sorry forgot to mention, after doing this i did thin out the aspen to about a mm of covering over the mat :)

Edited by - ilovemypets1988 on 26/02/2011 15:28:51
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  17:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heatmat looks a little too big for the faun to be honest.

With such a small space you'd do well to consider moving the mat so it is heating around one third of the faun.

I know from experience that even with a thermostatic control regulating the heatmat it will crack plate glass over time, so melting a plastic faun is almost certain if the temperature control is not set up correctly.

There is a very good sticky which suggests creating a small air gap between the faun and the mat with the sensor of the thermostatic control inside the faun in direct contact with the bottom rather than lying on top of the substrate.

I would also suggest that an inch of substrate in the warm end is a little too deep, a thin scattering is best, I have a large snake cave in the warm end of my wooden Viv and my big girl has moved all of the aspen substrate out of it. I actually use the cave to hold the heat sensor for my mat stat directly on top of the heat mat itself.

Hope this makes sense, but suggest you look at the sticky posted by LittleMick in the Corn Snake - General Keeping Information section of the site, it's a really good explanation of the sett up you need
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  17:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

beforwe anyone ses anything - it was just an experiment i done during cleaning and after reading this thread,after reading what cm had argued and while i was cleaning ambers faun, i put the thermometer probe directly on an inch of aspen and another on the heatmat, the reading were as follows:
so yh cm there completely different readings at exactly the same time so as we all already know louise was right, your probes should be either on the bottom of the faun or on top of the mat.

sorry forgot to mention, after doing this i did thin out the aspen to about a mm of covering over the mat :)

I hope you put on a lab coat and wore goggles, you can't do experiments without!

The heat mat size is fine, it covers no more than half the faun.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Edited by - lotabob on 26/02/2011 17:58:11
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  20:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt argue anything, it was just an opinion and advice passed onto me

and if you read a couple of posts up, i have stated i have put mine both on top of the heat mat, so you doing your "experiment" was pointless!

quote:
Originally posted by ilovemypets1988

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  23:00:12  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CM - I don't think the experiment was done to prove a point to you. As you said, you had already heeded advice and changed how you had the probes situated which was great. The experiment was most likely done because ilovemypets was curious to the possible temperature differences himself and was posted as a matter of interest to anyone. Much the same way kehhlyr posted the pic of the temperature of the unstatted mat.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

OutlandishChris
Snake Mite

31 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  21:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening everyone, here are a couple of new pictures of the viv now with the equipment installed. Also with the aspen thinned at the warm end and a thermometre installed too. I still have to get some foilage because it was suggested but also the viv looks a bit bare without it, however I know that there should be a snesible amount of space left uncluttered. I was also able to replace the under-viv tiles with new, crisp, thicker ones.

In the photos, Monty has just been fed, he ate 2 fuzzies and it is quite difficult to see where they are in his stomach. He is currently burried under the cool hide, at the cool end of course, but I would have thought that he would be in the warm hide having eaten of course? In regards to the thermostat and thermometre probes, the cool end thermometre can be seen pointing down under the aspec at the back right of the viv. The warm end thermometre and thermostat probe have been tied together and attached to the centre floor of the viv, directly above the heat mat. I have read that this is the correct way to do it, in conjunction with the air gap between the top of the heat mat and the bottom of the viv.

Edited by - OutlandishChris on 27/02/2011 21:55:03
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  21:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics, its looking good fella. One thing I would just point out, the hole on the right side where the thermometer wire comes in is a perfect little snake escape hatch.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000