Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

danny28490
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2011 :  23:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the right time to rehouse a snake to a 2 foot viv from a exo terra large flat faun, snake is about 1 foot long about 7-8 months old and quite thin.

I'm looking to be able to move him into an LX24" viv as a faun just doesn't look as nice and i want to be able to display my snake to guests too.

Just to give an idea the size of tango:

I was thinking of maybe moving him into a 2 foot viv in 4-6 weeks time, any advice will be a big help.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 22/02/2011 00:10:54

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  00:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
General rule of thumb is the length of snake to be about the same as one long and one short side of the viv.
So ideally around the 2.5-3t (ish) mark to move into a larger viv.
Maybe go for the largest faun you can get or a little 12 inch tank for now.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  01:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a pic of my set up for my 1ft 5ins

I bought this

http://www.justvivariums.co.uk/wooden-vivariums--2/vivexotic-vx24-wooden-vivarium-oak?variant_id=1642

Ring them up and place and order and normally get it following day, i had great service from these.
This will do until he is about 3ft - 4ft

If you put any cables inside for thermometre or heatmat, just before you put the lid on, just cut a small hole on the back edge at the top for the cables, nd then use aquarium sealant so seal the hole to prevent your snake escaping - leave to dry for 24 hours though as the smell is toxic until it is dried. I also use the aquarium sealant to stick the heat mat down (which is safe to do so) as it acts like a glue too.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivariums-572/geocel-aquarium-sealant-57981.html

Edited by - CentricMalteser on 22/02/2011 23:57:13
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  07:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got the 2 foot viv yet? If not,what about getting a 3 foot viv and dividing it in half and then expanding the side he lives on till he's big enough for the whole viv.
My snakes are in a 3 foot by 1'5 foot viv split half way. One in one half,one in another and theres plenty of room.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Newbie 105
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  09:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im going to make a viv out of a large old drawer as my corn seems to adore climbing !!! So its going to be thin tall and long my corns 17 inches like mango but im going to slowly build this viiv so it looks just like the jungle

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  14:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

I bought this

http://www.justvivariums.co.uk/wooden-vivariums--2/vivexotic-vx24-wooden-vivarium-oak?variant_id=1642

Ring them up and place and order and normally get it following day, i had great service from these.

If you put any cables inside for thermometre or heatmat, just before you put the lid on, just cut a small hole on the back edge at the top for the cables, nd then use aquarium sealant so seal the hole to prevent your snake escaping - leave to dry for 24 hours though as the smell is toxic until it is dried. I also use the aquarium sealant to stick the heat mat down (which is safe to do so) as it acts like a glue too.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivariums-572/geocel-aquarium-sealant-57981.html

IMO that viv is too big for your snake. It could be ok if there were loads more hides and lots of ground cover but that is a huge scary open space for a teeny little 1ft corn snake.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  17:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Louise32

quote:

I bought this

IMO that viv is too big for your snake. It could be ok if there were loads more hides and lots of ground cover but that is a huge scary open space for a teeny little 1ft corn snake.

Agree completely.

Go to Top of Page

danny28490
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  17:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that viv looks good and i'm planning on having alot of plants and hides in mine so it looks really nice and loads of hiding spots for my snake, will have to see what i'm gonna do. not made my mind up yet

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  17:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She;s actually foot and half long, and this was a pic taken prior to me filling it out completely which I have done earlier today!

quote:

quote:

I bought this

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  17:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

She;s actually foot and half long, and this was a pic taken prior to me filling it out completely which I have done earlier today!

Ah ok, well still pretty big for a 1.5 ft snake but if it's filled out more that should help. Would love to see some pics of how it looks now
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  17:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danny28490

that viv looks good and i'm planning on having alot of plants and hides in mine so it looks really nice and loads of hiding spots for my snake, will have to see what i'm gonna do. not made my mind up yet

A few of my snakes are 2 ft long and still doing fine in a rub the size of a large faunarium. I would wait a while before moving to a 2ft viv.
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm doing bit by bit, so added vines today and tommrow adding couple more hides and fake plants on the base, just doing it slowly over few days so i dont stress Cecil out with too many "New" scents

quote:

quote:

Ah ok, well still pretty big for a 1.5 ft snake but if it's filled out more that should help. Would love to see some pics of how it looks now

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I think it is much better for the snake to get all the changes done quickly. The sooner its in what is to be its "normal" environment, the sooner it can get used to it.

Does a vet slowly insert a needle into a dog to not stress it too much, or does the vet do it quickly so it lasts a second.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

just going off topic, i would like to apologise to my responses that i may have given you and Mike,
wasn't me being ignorant or arrogant, it's just I got the impression people think I haven't done my homework, and most of my questions are kind of reassurance more than anything else

back on to topic, didnt think of it like that so tommorow will make the final changes,
also from researching and asking various corn snake owners, they have advised me using a 2% UV tube is fine a) for daytime lighting, and b) the 2% uv helps with the skin in relation to helping it be vibrant etc,

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Personally I think it is much better for the snake to get all the changes done quickly. The sooner its in what is to be its "normal" environment, the sooner it can get used to it.

Does a vet slowly insert a needle into a dog to not stress it too much, or does the vet do it quickly so it lasts a second.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine are nice and vibrant without UV, it is not necessary. If you do want to light your viv you can use an energy saver bulb. But if you do decide to put lighting in the light must be gaurded to stop your corn damaging itself.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a problem pal, just make sure you take in what others are saying and form an educated opinion.

Using UV is fine, and I think that it must benefit the snake, though saying that I don't use them. Just make sure it is secure and out of reach of the snake. A lot of people say they flicker at a rate humans can't see but snakes can, and therefore its bad for them. No doubt that they flicker, however, it has never been confirmed to be that a snake can see it by an authoritative source.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question then is, what lighting should I use for day AND/OR night, that wont give out heat as I have a heat mat in place which is with a thermostat and working well, readings on the thermomete are constant

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Not a problem pal, just make sure you take in what others are saying and form an educated opinion.

Using UV is fine, and I think that it must benefit the snake, though saying that I don't use them. Just make sure it is secure and out of reach of the snake. A lot of people say they flicker at a rate humans can't see but snakes can, and therefore its bad for them. No doubt that they flicker, however, it has never been confirmed to be that a snake can see it by an authoritative source.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UV is a source of vitamin D, thats why they get used. Corns have no need for extra Vit D due to diet. Lizards and others that need a UV need it because their diet isn't high enough in Vit D, or they simply need more than the diet can give them.

Edited by - mikerichards on 23/02/2011 00:38:17
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so if i was using lighting for viewing as example, then what would be best type of lighting for day, and for the evening in the dark if i wante to have a quick check on her that wouldnt give out much heat if any?

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

UV is a source of vitamin D, thats why they get used. Corns have no need for extra Vit D due to diet. Lizards and others that need a UV need it because their diet isn't high enough in Vit D, or they simply need more than the diet can give them.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always prefer to use no light at all. The ambient light in the room is more than enough to give the snake a natural photoperiod. If you want to use a light, as Gmac said, use a energy saving bulb with a guard. For night time, a lot of people say snakes can see red light, which again I have never had confirmed by an authoritative source. If its in the viv, it would also have to be guarded.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also don't use any lights for my corns.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000