Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This forum reads this, (LINK REMOVED BY MOD)

and without even coming across this forum before i have this tubing

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=18&mid=12&lan=en

I don't leave it on continuously during the day or night, but to turn on when spot checking, throrough clean, and occasionaly just to see what Cecil is doing

Btw I'm not being difficult just trying to get a decision from what various people say and do

mod edit: link to other forum removed and section copied and pasted from other forums caresheet removed for copyright reasons

Edited by - gmac on 23/02/2011 01:02:39
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have energy saving bulbs in my 3 big vivs. When i put them in (when I was setting up the vivs before the snakes went in) I tested them for heat and even after being on for several hours the vivs were only reaching 19degrees. I still have them guarded tho and I only use them for spotchecking and when I'm cleaning out as I find normal daylight/room light is enough the rest of the time. In my smaller vivs I have those stick on led lights that I use when spotchecking

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser
Banned

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you fit the standard enegery saving bulbs? and where in the viv do you place them, on the sides near top, or ont the "ceiling" and what wattage are they and would they best be placed on the warmer side or cooler sidE?

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I have energy saving bulbs in my 3 big vivs. When i put them in (when I was setting up the vivs before the snakes went in) I tested them for heat and even after being on for several hours the vivs were only reaching 19degrees. I still have them guarded tho and I only use them for spotchecking and when I'm cleaning out as I find normal daylight/room light is enough the rest of the time. In my smaller vivs I have those stick on led lights that I use when spotchecking

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  00:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said before, I don't use them, but if I had one I would probably use it. Try not to turn it on after sundown. If you need to go in the viv try and use the room light.

Light bulbs will need a light fitting screwed into the top of the viv. You can put it on the side but it will look daft. I'm not sure about wattages, but the dullest light would be my choice. It doesn't matter what side you put it on as you're using a mat.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  01:11:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The light fittings were already in my vivs fitted by the previous owner of my stack who used bulbs to heat. But they are just normal light fittings fitted to the ceiling of the vivs with the cables passing out through a hole in the back. I use the lowest wattage one I could find which I can't remember what it is. They are on the warm side but thats more coincidence than design

Edit - Sorry Danny just realised we have thread hi-jacked here.
In response to your query. Whenever I have moved mine up an enclosure size I have used the rule that once the snake measures the length plus width of the enclosure he is in then I move him up a size. Saying that some snakes prefer smaller enclosures and some are happy in bigger ones. If you do move your snake up, just make sure it is well packed out with hides and greenery so it doesn't feel such a big space to him. You may find though that you never see your snake because he hides so well in it

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Edited by - kdlang on 23/02/2011 01:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  01:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser

so if i was using lighting for viewing as example, then what would be best type of lighting for day, and for the evening in the dark if i wante to have a quick check on her that wouldnt give out much heat if any?

I use LED lights.
I bought a 5 quid fitting from B&Q and a LED bulb from ebay, nearly no heat whatsoever and the bulbs come in different colours and light intensities as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2011 :  03:46:03  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard that LED lights are the best to use (though I haven't personally used them yet as my snake is still a bit small for a viv) because they produce more than enough light but almost no heat, plus they are very low wattage so cost hardly anything to use.

You can find loads of cheap LED strips on eBay, this one for example....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48cm-48-LED-Light-Strip-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Car-White-UK-/160548401412?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item25616e3104#ht_5374wt_1002

You will however also need to buy an adapter like the one in the link below, but it still works out pretty cheap. If you have more than one viv you can use the same adapter for multiple strips.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Volt-2-Amp-AC-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-CCTV-SECURITY-PSU-12v-/150565600437?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item230e68bcb5#ht_4447wt_1002

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000