Shedding & Meerkat like behaviour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mcloum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  22:17:25  Show Profile  Click to see mcloum's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Just a quicky on shedding, i've read around the various posts on here so not so worried anymore.

I got Cobus last week and the day after i got him he started shedding. It seems to be going nicely, was over his head and about a quarter way down his body. Then he rubbed himself over his water dish and broke the skin and it snapped off. It now looks like its gradually peeling off in bits like sunburn does, is this normal? I tried the warm towel trick just now so will see if that helps over the next few days.

Also i've noticed him standing tall, sometimes right upto the top of the viv, kinda like a meerkat stands up on its hind legs. I can only assume he's trying to stretch out of his shedding skin? He seems to have a crease down the side of him when hes just lazing about, again i can only assume his skin is dried up waiting to shake loose?

Cheers

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  22:42:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corns do "meerkat" or "periscope" because they are nosey gits!
If you could take a picture of the crease it would give a better idea.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mcloum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  22:44:16  Show Profile  Click to see mcloum's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I will try and get a decent pic when he is next stretch out :) Thanks
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  23:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The warm towel trick is mainly a works there and then kinda thing but the moisture will help so don't worry it didn't work straight away. Your best bet keeping the shed moist is a moss box, or any box with something moist inside, just monitor it and let us know if anything comes up your not sure of. I'm no good on this topic if totally honest, never had any experience of a bad shed but plenty of people on here will be able to help.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  23:28:23  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this might help, ive heard of people spraying a mist of water into the viv twice a day and that will help, ive never done it myself so i can only advise on what ive heard, but give it a try as it wont hurt the snake and let us know if it works, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  07:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crease is the old skin, misting is ok, but not too much and certainly not for a long period. You can carefully peel the skin off, a tub of warm water helps with that. Don't worry about pulling scales off, they are very well attached!

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  13:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you said meerkat like behaviour i had the best image of a snake in a smoking jacket in a stately home saying "simples"! lol! they do sometimes break sheds, as someone has already said (and as you may have read) the warm towel trick is good. also someone (maybe blackecho???) put up a really good thread on shed ease I THINK!? could be wrong tho...

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

mcloum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  18:22:40  Show Profile  Click to see mcloum's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im thinking of putting a water bowl in over the heat matt and see if he goes in there. Is it OK to put him in myself or is he likely to freak out?
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  18:25:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could try to put him in, just depends on him if he freaks or not.
Mine do the 'simples' meercat thing!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  18:26:29  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it could work with the heat mat warming the water up alittle for him to take a dip in
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000