Bulb gone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  01:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the bulb haas gone in the snakes tank unforntly so tommo im going to get a new bulb does it jjst need screwing im, the light is stil on the thermostat so i presume that its working its just the bulb thas gone . Do thet go quite easily not had it very long id say mayb 5 6 months. ?

1 adult striped corn snake

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  02:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bulb could be screw in or twist type.
I'm assuming that the viv is heated by bulb? If so and it is definitely gone then I'd unplug the stat otherwise it's just going to keep throwing power out for no reason.
Depending on the type of stat and bulb used then 5 or 6 months could be long life or short life. My 60 gallon tank has a bulb replaced about every 4 weeks.

Remove the bulb before buying a replacement to make sure you get the right one.

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  07:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like we need a 'viv maintenance section'. Can even have a sticky for changing light bulbs!!

On a serious note, a stat isn't gonna 'throw out power' if the bulb is blown, some may 'evaporate' but it will be very minimal.
What type of stat are you using? Mine usually last about 8 months more or less permanently on.

Go to Top of Page

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  12:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont b funny, iv gt A spatmre bulb sumwete foing to find it n it is screw in .

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  13:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil2

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that.

Also I don't think anyone was trying to "b funny". The questions/comments above are sensible comments.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  14:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A what?

I wasn't trying to be funny, perhaps if you dont know how to change a bulb you should get an electrician, god knows what would happen if you put it in the wrong way round.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  14:36:58  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

didnt we have someone else that talked in riddles like this before

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

phil2
Hatchling

114 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  16:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Course i know how to change a bulb didnt need no ones help i wont bother asking again

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  19:05:15  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the bulb haas gone in the snakes tank unforntly so tommo im going to get a new bulb does it jjst need screwing im, the light is stil on the thermostat so i presume that its working its just the bulb thas gone . Do thet go quite easily not had it very long id say mayb 5 6 months. ?

quote:

Course i know how to change a bulb didnt need no ones help i wont bother asking again

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  22:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how many herps does it take to change a light bulb...

1 to ask the question and 101 to give advice....lol

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-2 amel corn (mona,marshall)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)
0-1 mongrel bitch...(milly)

oh...and dreaming of a pair of blizzards
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  23:11:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be fair, I've bought bulbs for vivs and come back with the wrong type and I have always wondered how you change a bulb with a bulb guard around the bulb?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  11:02:45  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

To be fair, I've bought bulbs for vivs and come back with the wrong type and I have always wondered how you change a bulb with a bulb guard around the bulb?

il always take then out the box and check there what i need before i buy them, as for the guard question hmmmmmmmm il let you decide what you think you would have to do x

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  13:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could be really mean here!! As for the guard, I find taking it off first quite handy!!
Too be fair though, I made a bulb guard a few years ago, I was tired and not thinking.
The guard itself was great, really nice to look at and would work really well, it was one that would sit between the pieces, kinda like a lampshade does.
All was going great until I finished and realised that the downside of a one piece guard is that you can't actually get a bulb through the hole!!! I gave up then.

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  18:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

I could be really mean here!! As for the guard, I find taking it off first quite handy!!
Too be fair though, I made a bulb guard a few years ago, I was tired and not thinking.
The guard itself was great, really nice to look at and would work really well, it was one that would sit between the pieces, kinda like a lampshade does.
All was going great until I finished and realised that the downside of a one piece guard is that you can't actually get a bulb through the hole!!! I gave up then.

You should try one of those 'ship in a bottle' kits for practice :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  14:08:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

il always take then out the box and check there what i need before i buy them, as for the guard question hmmmmmmmm il let you decide what you think you would have to do x

Wish I did that! I'd go to the petshop needing a new bulb, not checking what ones were in my viv currently and coming back with the wrong ones XD

You'll are so mean! I ment does the bulb guard have like a little door or something your open to get the bulb out or do you have to unscrew the guard, change bulb and re-screw the guard in again XD the latter way seems like it would damage the wood if done repeatedly but it's the only viable way I can see how one would do it. I would think it has an openable side but the descriptions for bulb guards never say if they do or not so I wouldn't know XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  17:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the time the whole bulb guard has to come off the viv, but you can just screw it back into the same position it was in before, it wont harm it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000