New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  10:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a set up for my snakes like most of you. Faunarium, heat mat, stat, digi thermometer,water bowl, hides and a few fake plants.

I worry about the temps and it took me ages to get a good heat gradiant but I got there in the end.

So how come some breeders like the ones on snakebytes tv, dont' have any of the above apart from a water bowl? All the snakes are in racks, which is basically a drawer. They are in the dark, they do not have heat mats but they are fit and healthy and in great condition.

I don't get it

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  11:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think tbh, all of the snakes bred commercially are kept fit and healthy but are not necessarily contented. i would imagine breeders do use some kind of heater/thermostat system, just maybe a more industrial example that we keepers are unfamiliar with. We give all our snakes the luxuries and lil extras because we love them and because normally they are on display in our home in some way, whereas to breeders they are a business (as much as im sure they still love their reptiles) they have to work the business side first and if they can achieve healthy, succesful breeding snakes at a lower cost by sacraficing the extras, thats what they have to do.

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  11:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think, in some cases, that the heat is the whole room therefor individual heating is not needed, the down side of this is that the snakes connot thermoregulate properly.

as for being kept in the dark, well snakes are (more often than not)most active when its dark.....and if thay feel safe then all the other bits and bobs they WE like are not really needed....

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-2 amel corn (mona,marshall)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)
0-1 mongrel bitch...(milly)

oh...and dreaming of a pair of blizzards
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  12:25:32  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A lot of the racking systems have heat mats that don't actually go in the rubs but sit under them. You wouldn't necessarily see them unless you looked for them! I'm sure our breeders could explain it much better than me!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  14:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't say for all petshops, breeders etc. but the place I got Vin from had the snakes in small RUBs, all stacked up with no heating or hides but they were all apparently ok...not sure how I feel about it thou! x

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  14:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Newbie

I can't say for all petshops, breeders etc. but the place I got Vin from had the snakes in small RUBs, all stacked up with no heating or hides but they were all apparently ok...not sure how I feel about it thou! x

I saw the same think on snakebytes earlier which is why I thought of this topic. They had small tubs with newly hatched corns in and they were stacked up, easily 7 or 8 in a stack just on top of each other so they had no heat mats for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  19:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say I can't work out whether theres heating to some of the reps or not at the pet shop near me. The breeder I got Falcor from though had over 200 snakes,mostly in racks and every one of them was heated and statted.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind snakebytes tv is in America - most americans who live in the corns' natural range keep their corns at the local ambient temperature, which is logical. In the UK you'll find most people either heat the room or do use heat mats, or heat cable.
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  22:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true but then even if it's warm enough, the snakes have no cooler area to cool down, but then I guess they can use their water bowls.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  23:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've known someone to have a massive heat mat on the back of a shelf so when the little boxes of hatchies go into in then they have a heat source at the back of the tub.
Not ideal, but better than none.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  15:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there in snakebytes they use a heat cable that's stated i watched one of them that explains his set up etc it was really interesting and the reason he uses that rather than heat mats is to do with all the running wires etc hope this helps answer your question x

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  15:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for that, will see if I can find that episode on youtube.

Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  16:46:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have always wondered by the lack of hides some people use... I've seen people have a water bowl in there and a big long hide but I do feel a bit uneasy about the ones that don't use hides at all.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I have always wondered by the lack of hides some people use... I've seen people have a water bowl in there and a big long hide but I do feel a bit uneasy about the ones that don't use hides at all.

I know what you mean, I'd like to think they had somewhere to curl up out the way x

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000