Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  10:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the original question I keep my snakes in the same room as my pet rats and neither animals seem to be stressed by it. I just make sure "out" time doesent happen at the same time and most importantly wash hands between handeling rats and snakes. Might be pushing it putting rat smelling hands in snake Viv.

Go to Top of Page

MickyB
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  10:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

Agree with mike. Really no need to gas or freeze.

Mikes method is instant and not at all cruel.

how is bashing a mouses heading on my kitchen counter not cruel lol probs is the fastest way tho personally for a couple of snakes id just buy the mice dead it would be hassle for me to breed im a bit lazy if dont have to i wont probably be more cost effective if you had a lot of snakes tho and worth the hassle
Go to Top of Page

MickyB
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  10:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

Back to the original question I keep my snakes in the same room as my pet rats and neither animals seem to be stressed by it. I just make sure "out" time doesent happen at the same time and most importantly wash hands between handeling rats and snakes. Might be pushing it putting rat smelling hands in snake Viv.

i think the only problem that could occur is the snake getting used to the scent and may ignore it but saying that a hungry snake is still a hungry snake
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  16:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be tempted not to keep rats/mice in the same room as the snakes, it only takes a couple of days for the mice to smell enough for us to smell them, let alone the snakes. In my opinion its asking for a snake to mistake you for food.

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  13:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I here what you say Mike but I have done it for several months with no problem. Corse if I get tagged I could be singing a different tune.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  16:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does depend on the snake to be fair, corns generally arent a problem ever. If you had my female hogg island boa would would feel differently though!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  16:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, my Royal perks up when I'm feeding my Corn snake, I really would not want to put my hand in there with food around, I defrost in another room now so I can pick him up without getting savaged. I'm sure with mouse stink in the room I would have some pretty beat up hands quite quickly. I'm sure there are corn snakes out there that will react to the smell of their prey.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  17:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can keep mice in the same room, but they may not breed well if they sense danger from the snakes. You may find they nom their babies when they are born - a normal stress response.

I'd argue that it's not fair for the mice, but it can be done.

You also need to be aware of the size of the operation. You'll need 3 tubs for mice (male, female and mixed breeding). It's not much fun cleaning them all out if you don't enjoy mice for the sake of mice (all my family spend far more time with them than the snakes!)
If you do like mice, then just get plain white ones, or you can get attached to them :) After all they have the ability to be far more affectionate than snakes.

As for killing - pinkies straight in freezer as people have said, anything else cervical dislocation is the most humane way - it's instant. Drop it, smack it or whack it on a counter and you stand to just hurt it a lot, which is pretty cruel.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000