Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  13:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to be breeding my own feeder mice and am wondering, i am going to be keeping my snakes in the spare room, it measures 10 x 8 x 8,i know you will say its not advisable but i was thinking can i keep my mice in a tank in the same room....

what are the ups and downs of doing this....

will the snakes be able to smell the mice and if so, is that really a bad thing....

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-2 amel corn (mona,marshall)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)
0-1 mongrel bitch...(milly)

oh...and dreaming of a pair of blizzards

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  13:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pet shop where I bought Nimbus had him in a tank directly above guinea pigs, mice and rats lol

Not sure if it's a problem or not but I know the pet shops don't seem to care lol

Just out of interest, how would the mice be killed or are you going to live feed?

Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  13:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no live feeding in my house.....

the pinkies will be put straight into freezer unless i am feeding fresh killed in which case i will "drop" them.

mice that are bigger than pinks will also be "dropped".

it is the fastest way i know.....

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  13:46:37  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
freezing is also one of the most painful ways to kill a live animal, co2 chamber is the humain and most favoured way

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  13:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
freezing pinks takes no time at all....

as for the dropping, i have a paving stone just for this purpose.

not sure i am comfortable feeding my snakes gassed food

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  13:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aren't the mice and rats people buy from pet shops gassed?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
Account Deactivated

United Kingdom
0 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  14:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drop them? Is that as simple as it sounds? I don't think I could do that.

Red, I thought shop bought feeder mice are gas killed.
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  14:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes,they are- normally with co2 (tho i believe its so cold its prtty close to being a liquid at the time, not that thats relevant) this means they are killed and frozen at the same time, allowing for no decay or decomposition at all. Just as a point baitman, freezing co2 gas is exactly how your domestic freezer works too so u better get comfortable with it lol! its kinda unavoidable! :)

1.1.0 corns "wotsit" and "biscuit"
1.0.0 Royal "ophion"
0.1.0 Coastal Carpet Python "Serendipity"
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake "Obsidian"
0.1.0 Bunny Rabbit (?) "truffle"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"

Edited by - Benji54 on 06/01/2011 14:04:06
Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  14:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry kinda got side tracked there baitman, in answer to your actual question, i cant see it being a problem. my snakes share a room with a rabbit (which is differefnt i know, but similar scent) and they are fine. just keep the mice cleaned out and see how it goes!

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  14:22:10  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
but freezing causes ice crystals to form in the blood causing un-needed pain, how would u like to die in a freezer!! dont want to feed a snake gased food, co2 is a gas we breath out that is all around us anyway so why would it be a problem.

most people on here that have mentioned wanted to breed there own mice have done it so they can ensure they have a good life before they are finally dispatched humainly

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  14:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

but freezing causes ice crystals to form in the blood causing un-needed pain, how would u like to die in a freezer!! dont want to feed a snake gased food, co2 is a gas we breath out that is all around us anyway so why would it be a problem.

most people on here that have mentioned wanted to breed there own mice have done it so they can ensure they have a good life before they are finally dispatched humainly

yeah i do agree, just puttin em in a domestic freezer is a bit of a torture really. itll take a while. the way i was talkin bout, the way its done comercially, the gas is sooo cold the death is instant and humane.

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  15:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all points taken on board, i hadnt realised it was that painfull, what exactly are the co2 chambers and can they be diy'ed.

what about vacuuming, i have one of those things that suck the air out of clothing for packing, could i put them in that and just take all the air out??

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  16:07:18  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah there simple to diy in simples terms u need a small plastic box, some rubber pipe a co2 bottle and regulator, all you do is very slowly allow co2 into the box so as to not cause discomphort and put them to sleep then increase the co2 to kill them

google co2 chamber, u can use dry ice but then u need to make platforms inside the chamber so gas is better

http://www.thereptilerack.com/kb/entry/14/

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Benji54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  17:44:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that or a fire extinguisher and some tupperwear boxes lol!

***this is a joke, please dont actually do it lol***

1.0.0 Royal "ophion"

R.I.P "Prisma Pequeno"
Go to Top of Page

baitman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been looking for a diy pic of a chamber but cant find one.....

where are the co2 cannisters obtainable from?

1-0 ghost (mojo)
1-0 anery corn (eifel)
0-1 normal corn (lisa)

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:25:38  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
co2 can be brought from welding suuply shops etc, also try local gun smiths as they often have them as its used for some air rifles

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:28:33  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.happyhillbilly.com/co2/

http://www.thereddragonsden.com/co2.htm

this one is ideal as they are using a gas bottle u can get from halfords i think !!!!

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/544392-co2-chamber.html

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:28:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
c02 is supposed to not be an very effective way to kill pinkies and baby mice looking at other old topics, that's all I'll say *whistle* neither is force.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  18:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not impressed by the talk of freezing or dropping tbh, it seems there is a bit of a lack of concern for the feeder animals welfare and research. I am glad to see you have changed your mind.

What I will say however, for anyone else reading, is that dropping onto a paving slab will NOT outright kill a mouse or rat, they can survive great falls. You are running the risk of the prey running off or just being badly injured.

CO2 chambers are definitely one of the most humane ways to dispatch feeder rodents, and, as far as I can tell, are very simple to set up.

Gassed rodents are perfectly safe to feed to your snake.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  09:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no need to gas any mice of any size. the only reason this is done comercially is because there are a huge number being done at once.
the reason you dont gas pinkies is because they do not metabolise the gas very well, and tend to suffer for quite a while before it ends up dying.
The theory of puttting pinkies in the freezer does from what i have seen, work. the reason is, pinkies are hairless, nothing to keep warm in, they themselves are not capable of generating their own heat, or enough to keep themselves warm enough to live. when pinkies are put in the freezer, they dont freeze to death, they shock, thats what kills them, their body temp drops so fast they go into shock and thats what kills them, its actually very quick, much quicker than gassing.
As for the drop method, unless you are going to help it on the way down, its a waste of time, your food will just run off, fast.
I dropped one of my feeder mice, totally accidentally, it hit the floor and teleported under the counter, i didnt even see it move, it was that fast.
when i kill my mice, the simplest and quickest method is hold my the tail swing hard onto a hard surface, any stress to the mouse lasts about 1/2 a second, i always do it so they hit back first, maximum impact on the back of the head, if you have to do it twice, you did it wrong and just caused immense suffering.
the easiest way to see if you did it right is to touch their eye ball, if they blink, whack again, if they dont, they are dead, even if they are trying to run on the spot, and they will be trying to, its normal.

Gassing is fine, but i think its a waste of time and money for only a few mice, it will make your own breeders as expensive as buying in bulk, and a lot more hassle.

As for live feeding, thats a total last resort unless you have baby boas and pythons, dont go down that road with your corn, you dont need to.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  10:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with mike. Really no need to gas or freeze.

Mikes method is instant and not at all cruel.

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000