Is my corn snakes behaviour normal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I recently purchased a Corn snake from a reputable pet shop (they told me his eating and shedding patterns) but they could not tell me the exact age of the snake. On the day i got him he was very feisty as soon as the handler got him out but i handled him and there seemed no obvious health problems. He later bit me twie when i tried to get him settled in his viv (he is a foot and a half and the viv is 2 feet). i left him alone to settle in now as soon as i open the viv he gets in the s shape defensive position and last night he knew i was there my hands were clean and not cold but as soon as i touched him he physically jumped across the viv is this normal and if so what can i do to improve his confidence/temper? Im a first time snake keeper and pretty determined so any help would be appreciated. thanks

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think patience is the key, give him time to get used to you and his new surroundings. Not far from you - Willenhall here.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol new invention here small world, so how long would you advise to give it before trying again?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long has he been with you? did you give him a week or so to settle in? what kind of set up etc is he in? Any mention of his previous behaviour from shop?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no he has only been with me since friday hes in a 2 foot glass viv which is always between 28 and 30 degrees (which i was told was about right) and the man in the shop just said he may be a bit snappy cos hes ready to step up from pinkys which i did and he ate fine.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely give him space for a week - don't worry if he's due a feed in that time (settling in is much more important), just spot clean and change water daily. Does he have places to hide etc?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  10:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea theres a log which he likes to hide in and a wooden arch which provides a dark area i also am following some advice which i saw elswhere and theres a sock which i wore on my hand for a few hours in there so as to get him used to my scent, so after that week or so he may improve?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  11:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May take longer than a week for him to settle but its the right start for him. I know its easy to say be patient but it does help
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  11:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou very much :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

288 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  11:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries , I know what its like when you start to worry about them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000