New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  00:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I was talking the dog on a walk and I happend to walk past a farm and noticed a big pile of bark, If I can find out what tree it's from and is okay for my corn, would it be okay to wash and dry out?
It just got me thinking because theres alot of it and if it was all good to use I would never have to buy substrate again =P

all so found a few nice sticks that I may also sand down and bleach.. Am I all good to be doing this or should I just stay away and buy from shops..

1.0.0 Carolina/Normal Corn
1.0.0 Pug
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  08:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv heard of a few people using sticks they've found in their vivs, but personally id make sure i knew how to treat them propperly before using them. as for substrate i wouldnt know. would it b worth the hassle of treating/ drying etc?

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  09:15:28  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you do use it give it a good bake first, i used wet bark from a petshop in my corns rubs but it was to wet and made the humidity to high, so i ended up baking it everytime i cleaned them out, I havnt bothered using it anymore tho its just to wet and hasstle to bake everytime i wanna clean them out so just use aspen now.

Im sure the bark should be ok tho aslong as u bake it to kill all the parasites in it :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

107 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  17:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I've had a think and I'mnot gona give the bark ago, It is gona be to much hasstle when I can just go out and buy some aspen, I just saw it and went oooooooooo lol =] I think I'm gona sand the sticks down and bleach and bake them though they are nice sticks =P Aspen is cheap enough anyways..

1.0.0 Carolina/Normal Corn
1.0.0 Pug
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  19:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to bleach them. Just strip them of bark, sand off any sharp bits, wash them down with boiling water and dry them in an oven for about an hour. Smaller sticks don't need as long as an hour and sticks leaning towards being a log will need more. I use 130 degrees in the oven and seems to be hot enough to dry quickly but not hot enough to burn and discolour the sticks.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000