New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StephenParker846
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  21:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wife dragged me into IKEA at the weekend. So what has this got to do with Cornsnakes I can hear people screaming.
Whilst looking around I found 1kg bags of pebbles, that were very reasonably priced at 69p a bag. I thought that they might make an interesting and different substrate for my 3 cornsnakes.
I have got an adult one in a 4 foot viv and 2 babies in a small glass viv.
The question is do you think that it will be ok to use some of these small pebbles as a substarte in these viv's.
Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  22:01:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I only have some small pebbles to weigh down my probes, they are a nightmare to clean poo off! The poo goes and leaks and gets everywhere as there is nothing aborbant to soak it up. Wish they would poop on the aspen XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2010 :  22:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have fish pebbles in my viv. I have black ones in the bottom of the water dish too! It looks cool

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  19:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cant think of any reason not... it might actually help when they come to shed as they'l have more to rub on? means no tunneling tho which is something my snakey could live without!

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  20:34:03  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i have a little pebble arch that ive made gave the pebbles a good scrub and sterilise first and kinda baked them in the oven to kill any bugs
my sankey seems to like going through it as i also have grasses and aspen over it....if you get my meaning

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  22:44:15  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remembering peoples comments from another thread here a while back, they're fine to use but just a pain to clean as everyone has said already! You don't want to build up a big layer of them though as the heat wouldn't go through them very well.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  08:25:32  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The heat would get through them, it would take a while, but once they get hot they can get very hot and hold the heat for a very long time!
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  08:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiffany-x

The heat would get through them, it would take a while, but once they get hot they can get very hot and hold the heat for a very long time!
Tiffany-x

Exactly the reason for not using them, they retain heat too well and regulating it would be more difficult. That and keeping them clean.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000