New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  15:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just set up a digital thermometer which has 2 probes in Sids viv. I will give details of temps below and I would like your opinions as to whether these are ok, inparticular the cool end as he seems to spend all his time there.

Habistat set to 29 c
Cool end probe reads 20.3 c upto 20.5 c
Warm end probe reads 26.4 c upto 29.8 c (unoccupied)
Warm end probe reads 27.0 c upto 31.8 c (occupied)
ambient air temp 21.2 c

There seems to be quite a range of temps in the warm hide. I'm also worried that if I up the temp of the habistat it will get too warm in the warm hide when he goes in it.
What do you all think?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:07:29  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im guessing your using a matstat, if so then u will get quiet a fluctuation in temps due to its design, dasically it will tuen off at the set temp then wont come back on until its drop a few degrees first

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  21:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say your flucuation is due to air temperature spoiling your mat reading. If you put your thermometer probe directly on the heat mat right next to your stat probe and then use the edge of a hide to pin them both in place, then use about an inch of substrate to completely cover JUST the area where the probes are to block most of the air, the rest of the mat should have only enough subtrate to just cover the mat. The reading will be a bit up and down for maybe an hour or two but will settle as the probe and surrounding substrate are heated up. Oh and keep an eye on where your probes are because you can guarantee if they are going to dig anywhere they will dig up their sensors so a heavy hide holding them down helps keep them still, you can also use aquarium sealant to permenently fix them to the mat but that takes time to set.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that but both probes are together and are under the hide and held in place by the hide which is quite heavy. I just don't understand why it is fluctuating by this amount. Although the stat is set to 29 the temp has to drop to just over 26 before it cuts back in (temp taken by digital thermometer). I guess thats habistat temperature thermostats for you.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

lrv2307
Yearling

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:32:55  Show Profile  Click to see lrv2307's MSN Messenger address  Send lrv2307 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Red

i have exactly the same problem with my viv, am starting to get overly paranoyed about it now, got a mate round who has a boa, he said me snakie is fine
even though warm end term says 25, and ive got it set for 29, and cool end moves between 16.9 and 20.1 (prob due to the winter), so have bought a polistyrine celing tile to go against the outside wall of my flat to try and take the chill off the air

lrv (louise)
Uxbridge, Middlesex
0.1.0 snow - morgana
0.1.0 cali banded king - boudica
0.0.1 crested gecko - galaxy
** wish list**
ghost corn
anery corn
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  14:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a mat stat and my temperatures tend to hover between 27 and 29 approx.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  16:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have resorted to putting the flourescent light strip on for a few hours aday to up the ambient air temp and it does seem to be having some effect. The light gives only a very small amount of heat but its just enough to lift air temp up a degree or two after a couple of hours and the cool side hide upto 21-22 c. Funnily enough both my adults came with their full set up and both previous owners used the strip light all the time but I haven't, yet since switching them on their mood seems to have changed. Moving around alot more and exploring so maybe they like the lights.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  18:26:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'd be tempted to turn your stat down a tiny bit if the temps are going over 30. Don't worry too much about the fluctuation, thats how mat stats are designed to work and corns are temperate anyway so can easily handle it.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000