New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, one for the experienced keepers and breeders here!

Query- are there any issues associated with putting a young corn that is still growing on a diet?

My female 09 butter is big- 260g and around 2 1/2 to three feet long- nearly up to breeding size! Atm she is fed one small mouse (barely more than a fuzzy) every 7 days, but she is still piling on weight and is beginning to show fat deposits near her tail. She is very active, has plenty in the viv to climb on so is not lacking in exercise.

I don't want her getting obese, but at the same time I don't want to be feeding her less than she needs for healthy growth etc. If she were an adult I would not hesitate to up the diet, but she is still a young'un.

Any advice? Not come across this before in a corn this age.

Cheers.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd just restrict the feeding times, cut them down a lot more.
Move the feeding to every 14 days, or between 14 and 21 days. You know that they can easily got for a while without food, so I wouldn't have thought that a large change in feeding habits would cause any issues even for a still growing corn.

Then again with breeding 'season' in a couple months do you reckon she'll be ready then? that will probably knock a hefty chunk of her excess weight off as well. Then again I've not bred corns that have fat bum, so dunno if that could cause issues so will defer to others for that one.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Kehhlyr

I'm more than happy to move her 2 every couple of weeks, I just was wondering if it would be an issue. I think she will be a big snake regardless though lol.

I have no doubt she will be ready to breed next year, but she isn't 3yo yet...... I wonder whether the age actually matters as much as the size and weight though?

She isn't yet obese but is definitely on the chunky side of the scale, if she continues getting longer whilst maintaining or gaining weight slowly then I'll be happy.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  18:27:43  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'd personally do as K says and feed the same size just less often.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  20:07:04  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow I didn't know young corns could get fat, you sure she doesn't need a massive poo XD I always thought the young ones used their excess food to grow more.

Learn new stuff everyday :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 08/12/2010 20:07:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000