Page: of 3

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

PS, I would cohabit, what harm can they do to each other, there will always be a dominant animal in a group but feeding separately would solve any problems, only thing to think about is if you got a male & female they may breed early and cause problems for the female.

surely this statement shows why cohabiting may not be a good idea as dominated snake will be stessed therefore not the ideal situation for any snake.

edited to add there is a guide for posting photos in the photo section

Edited by - gmac on 27/11/2010 00:42:43
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out the sticky on the top of the photos bit. You need a photobucket account but its dead easy to set up and easy enough once you get the hang of it. One tip, when you think you've added a photo,preview your post as I got it wrong a couple of times and had to edit it.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In regards the co-habiting, some people do it successfully, others don't.
Most issues surrounding co-habiting is usually with hatchling/yearlings or with snakes that are of different sexes at a fairly young age and size.
If you want to co-habit it's up to you, I used to but still have never recommended it as any costs for vet treatments are doubled due to not knowing which one may have medical issues.
All I can advise is that you get a rub of some kind ready just in case, alway be prepared for any eventuallity.
You can split them with neglible costs, as 2 mats the same size can share the same stat, so technically all you'd need is another viv.

/ninja edit
quote:

Check out the sticky on the top of the photos bit. You need a photobucket account but its dead easy to set up and easy enough once you get the hang of it. One tip, when you think you've added a photo,preview your post as I got it wrong a couple of times and had to edit it.

Completely that, however the sticky for photo uploading is a bit out of date since photobucket went and changed to the pants version they have now, but it still gives enough info to work out how to do it now photobucket has changed.
The sticky will change soon as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 27/11/2010 00:48:47
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not wanting to sound stupid but computers isnt really my thing and whats the sticky bit. is that where i spilt coffee earlier lol. help please
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are dominant animals in all species, its just nature. They may even fight it out but its a strength test rather than a death match and this is only usually in evenly matched animals as usually one will submit before it ever comes to blows.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1982ltrav

not wanting to sound stupid but computers isnt really my thing and whats the sticky bit. is that where i spilt coffee earlier lol. help please

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stickies stay at the top of forum topics, they are in effect stuck up at the top.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14
Thats the phot posting one

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SNAP

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are dominant animals in all species, its just nature. They may even fight it out but its a strength test rather than a death match and this is only usually in evenly matched animals as usually one will submit before it ever comes to blows.

again seems to me another reason not to, stressed snakes is not a good thing, so why subject them to a possible fight where it is completely unnecessary.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
havent got a clue went on to photo bucket but only options was facebook twitter etc please elaborate.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  01:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try using imageshack for now, you can upload from main page without registering if it's easier.
http://imageshack.us/

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  01:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was a guarantee that 2 snakes together would be bouncing off the walls fighting I wouldn't even consider it. From what I know its so incredibly rare. As Kehllyr says though it is a possibility that it might come to needing to separate them and you do need to have a backup plan.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  01:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree if they even looked at each other in the wrong way they would be seperated straight away.there fine as i said cuddled up and knowing my snake looks happy to have a companion. yes left months on end with no food the bigger would probably eat the smaller but as i said earlier (only in extreme circumstances) would you eat your mate on a desert island if it was life or death. i would its the way nature works....
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  01:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look so cute all cuddled up together.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

wheres the head-in-hands smiley? they are not 'cuddling' they are not 'friends' they are not 'keeping each other company'. They are sharing the best spot in the limited space available to them, and if one of those animals is dominant over the other then the weaker one would not be getting the optimum conditions therefore affecting its health and mentality. If it was out in the big wide world they would be in seperate places.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  01:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Technically no they are not cuddling its just an easy way to describe how they look in lay terms. You're right they are sharing the best spot. Weaker one is a bit extreme, its not weaker, you feed them individually and in accordance to their needs. In regards to heat, snakes touching each other in a 'huddle' will be very close to the same temperature and be better able to retain that heat at the core of the 'huddle'. Its not if one is dominant either, one of them will be dominant, this doesn't make it a bully or aggressive to the other snake, that not how dominance works.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  08:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http:
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  08:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  09:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:

wheres the head-in-hands smiley? they are not 'cuddling' they are not 'friends' they are not 'keeping each other company'. They are sharing the best spot in the limited space available to them, and if one of those animals is dominant over the other then the weaker one would not be getting the optimum conditions therefore affecting its health and mentality. If it was out in the big wide world they would be in seperate places.

This this this. I think most people on here know my stance on co-habiting, so I'm not going to say much.

However- have you heard of the need to quarantine new arrivals? That new snake might have all sorts of nasties lurking within/on it, and it's just been plonked straight in with poor Noodle.

Side note!! Last night I discovered that Sarabi had somehow managed to get past the partition in the viv and was in with Aurora (both female, both the same year.) Both snakes were incredibly stressed, and when I went in to get Sarabi, she bit me and went for the other snake. I dread to think what could have happened had I not noticed. Aurora was also in blue (because snakes are convenient enough to shed at the same time you know!) so her vision was impaired, adding to her stress.

Aurora has been taken out and placed in a RUB in the rack for now- this is why it is useful to have a spare set-up handy at all times, which you don't have. When I work out how the hell Sarabi got through and the partition is secure I will put her back, but until then it just isn't worth the risk.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  09:06:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1982ltrav

i agree if they even looked at each other in the wrong way they

Lol. sorry I imagined snakes with different facial expressions then XD I'd love to see a snake do a happy smile :D

Anyway all snakes have a bad shed at some point or another. So it might just have been one of those times. Anyway You don't need anyone else's opionions on co-habiting, you've readf the thread I'm sure. I just wouldn't do it if your unsure of sex or if they are opposite sex's since they will breed at any time of the year but that's just me.

Nice looking snakes btw.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 27/11/2010 09:08:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000