Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  22:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
noodles 2 weeks ago was moved up from a exo terra glass viv to a 3ft viv, he's had 4 or 5 perfect sheds since we've had him. he's around 26"long (9months old approx). his first shed in his new viv took place this morning and was not a clean one. i noticed it was broken towards the tail, checked him out and he still had unshed skin. we soaked his tail in luke warm water an gently peeled the unshed skin off him with not too much discomfort.hope we did the right thing. anyway the mrs and young lad arrived home as i was doing this just in time to help me out. bearing in mind today is my b'day my presents and cards were put to one side as they helped remove the bad shed. once this was done i opened my present, you guessed it a 2.5ft hypo blood red and he's gorgeous. problem is we only have the one viv. i regulary read posts on this forum an know what you guys think to co-habitating. the mrs has been on the phone and into the pet shop on numourous occasions this week and the owner (who i think is very professional an knows his stuff) has said he has never ever heard of there being problems unless they are either completely diffrent in size or one of them being a king or previously housed with the opposite sex. anyway they've been cuddled up for the last few hours like long lost brothers with no problems at all. in fact noodles the smaller of the 2 is by far the more confident an using the blood red as a pillow. opinions please!!!!!!

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
c'mon people some feedback please. the pet shop owner where noodles came from. and the blood red has had corns for 30 yrs an never had problems co habitating unless the golden rules mentioned above are broken. are people to worried to try this from 'here say'. has the extremely rare occaision esculated into a definate no no for no reason as a ridiculous precaution. even humans have been known to canibalize in extreme circumstanses ie the film 'alive' are we being sensible here or just listening to the first person who had something go wrong an this theory esculasting from there.
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wel for the cohabiting I see no problem with it if there is no signs of stress and both doing fine I don't see a prob with the sizes. But that's me. I don't mind cohabiting two snake providing they have a big enough enclosure
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*Waits*

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't peel the shed off. Check the sticky for bad sheds,no point repeating it.
The humidity might be lower in viv, maybe introduce a moss box when shedding or mist the viv. See I have a hygrometer, people say its not essential but I don't agree, easier to rule out humidity issues straight away and keep the humidity at a nice level ( + get practice in for if/when you move to more humidity dependant snakes) and for the small cost its worth it as I like to know whats going on in my viv.

PS, I would cohabit, what harm can they do to each other, there will always be a dominant animal in a group but feeding separately would solve any problems, only thing to think about is if you got a male & female they may breed early and cause problems for the female.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 26/11/2010 23:42:23
Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the viv hygro is pointing to the humid section of the dial.after a minute or two soak in warm water the tail end of the shed literally slid off his tail.sorry maybe i worded it wrong (peeled). but no way would i have left the unshed skin on him.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may as well wave your hand in their to check humidity, dial hygrometers are garbage. Digital is the future.

Your supposed to just let it come off of its own accord, all you do is moisten the skin by running them in a wet pillowcase or something like that, if by peel you mean pulled any of the bits off you can cause damage to the new skin if its failed to separate properly.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2010 :  23:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as i said peeled was the wrong wording. his skin was moistened in the luke warm water and he literally slid out of the unshed tail end.no harm or distress caused or pulled off. what are you saying leave it on to cause problems during next shed....
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll Repeat. Your supposed to just let it come off of its own accord, all you do is moisten the skin by running them in a wet pillowcase or something like that.

The reason I clarified 'peeled off' is not an attack on you, it is because lots of people will view any posts on the forum and 'peeled off' is a terrible way of wording it and may be misinterpreted by someone on here looking for information about a bad shed, not just today but people may search months or years from now. Wouldn't want one word confusing someone and causing them to injure their snake.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

I'll Repeat..............

What part of the last 2 posts of 1982ltravs did you not understand???
There's these things on the front of most peoples heads, 2 of them.
They are slightly elliptical, with a coloured irised section on the front.
They are used for a multitude of things, reading, looking at jazz mags, helping to drive, helping to stop yourself bumping into things and so on, the list of uses for these things is practically endless.
Most people have them attached to their brains via an input device of some sort (ISA, AMR, AGP, USB??? I dunno) that usually helps the grey squishy matter that is oh so good for zombies (unless they're vegitarian) to help process what the things in the front of the head have 'seen'.
Combining the 2 things brings about wondrous stuff, so wondrous in fact that even the galactic dark lord himself cannot escape them.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok advise taken. back to the original thread is this anything to do with the new viv as his last sheds have been perfect. just cant understand why all of a sudden in a new viv he hasn't shed properly. also the cohabitating point any more views on this.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:19:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes they just have a bad shed, wouldnt worry about it or read anything into your new setup so long as temps are fine.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understood perfectly well, I thought it far better to clarify PEELED OFF than leave it open to interpretation and also to clarify that I did not say or suggest LEAVING IT ON, and been asked 'what are you saying leave it on to cause problems during next shed....' was again misleading and not what I was saying in the slightest. So please do feel free to weigh in with your over exaggerated biology lesson. Really add some substance to the subject, oh no wait, no it didn't.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so as lotabob said leave it or help them out as we did with no problems an no distress caused.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you did was just fine.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personally I leave it add in some damp moss for a few days, nothing nasty will happen in that time, and it will most probably come off, I dont go rushing in to make sure its off right away with bathing / towelling or anything until I need to

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou lotabob was not trying to cause an argument had just read on this forum to do as i did. it worked a treat an will do the same in the future, but always looking for other peoples advice, thanks for your input its another option if required.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its OK no argument was caused. There are lots of ways of moistening the left over shed, its what works for you. I love the name Noodles though, I may have to pinch it when I get a snow.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chosen by my six yr old as appaently he looks like a super noodle ha ha.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a great and appropriate name. You'll have to pop up some freshly shedded Noodle photo's.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

1982ltrav
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2010 :  00:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you add photos, would love to post some pics.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000